1936 Luger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod WMG

One of my shooting pards bought an all matching numbers Mauser Luger recently. After spending a week cleaning and examining it, he said it reminded him of me--"a terrible bore!"

Apparently the bore is badly pitted, which was revealed when it took sessions with "Foul Out" and hand scrubbing and cleaning to get the lead and copper out.

What is your impression about the effect this will have on accuracy and what, if anything, can be done to relieve the situation? TIA.

I have a 1938 Mauser P.08 with a bore that looks like the surface of the moon...

Its one of the best shooting guns I have, and I have several target pistols. This gun is very accurate. Pitting doesn't necessarily affect accuracy.

If it shoots well, tell your friend to just shoot it and clean it thoroughly afterwards.

If its one of the arsenal-reblued guns from what was the Soviet Union, it has little collector's value. (The bad pitting makes me think it is one of the Russian/Soviet imports.) That being the case, and it doesn't shoot well, he can sell it and try again -- or keep his eyes open for a relacement barrel. I've seen them from places like Gun Parts Corporation for around $50. But tell him to have a gunsmith do the replacement, as you can really screw up the receiver if you don't do it right.

My biggest problems have had to do with magazines... I've had to buy five and send back two to get three that work reasonably well.

These guns sell in the $350 - $450 range.

I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back