E

other side of barrel:

U
75xx

D2

(a DEEP) G

rear sight:

T

D (but has an "E", looks like a E and a D)

<-

(crown)
(sideways) E

stock ID plate:

stock on handgrip behind trigger guard:

the mixed ED

can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? All i can tell is that it was a rifle given to Ireland

Last edited:
After Ireland became a free state, they formed an army called Fianna Fail (FF) or Army of Destiny. Part of the agreement was for the British to supply the new army with weapons. Your rifle was one of those, so your information is correct. Other than that, it is a standard SMLE Mk III (or Rifle No. 1, Mk III), made by Birmingham Small Arms Co. in 1917 for the British Army.

In the 1950's Ireland sold off a lot of its old weapons in exchange with various arms makers and traders. They sold a large number of those rifles and got in return a [much smaller but sufficient] number of FALs.

Jim

I have an army of destiny too- sadly mine was bubba'd all to hell before I got it (barrel chopped to minimum and the whole thing sprayed with black paint, the charger bridge removed, and some holes drilled for various scope and other mounts)- but I have restored it as best I could, at least in the spirit of its roods, and it sits in a respected place in my safe, and in the event of trouble it will serve proudly in my own personal army of destiny.....

the wood on mine was cut... thank goodness they didnt cut the barrel or anything else. they did slap a crappy magazine in it tho...

That is one of the guns i want for my collection, being born in Ireland it would be a neat one to have.
My family is a strange bunch, Catholic and Protestant sides to it, and a history of taking up arms on both sides of the conflicts.

Just for accuracy its an Enfield No.1 Mk111* not a No.1 Mk111. in this case the * denotes quite a difference.
The Mk111 is an earlier rifle, had windage adjustments on the rear sight, magazine cut-off and volley sights.
The Mk111* didn't have the above and was used by the Australians in both WW1 and WW2 along with India.;)

Back