1911 WOOD GRIP PANELS

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy

Retired Screen Name
I am getting ready to order new grip panels for my Stainless Kimber, and I can not makeup my mind what type of wood to have. Have looked at Coco Bolo, Rosewood, Kingwood, Goncalo Alves, and others from Ajax, Hogue, and Ahrends. Will be going with Diamond checkered, but what wood and from who?

Prices are approximately the same. So what do I go with?

It is really a matter of personal preference.
Since grips are only to enhance the beauty of a 1911, get what you like. Me? I would go for Tulip Wood. It has very light coloring with red, yellow and oranges. Rosewood is the most common aftermarket wood and looks nice but is a bit too common, including the factories that dress up their custom pistols with Rosewood. Another choice might be the imitation Ivory. It runs about the same price as wood and looks very nice.

My favorites are the Ahrends tactical grips in either tulipwood or cocobolo.

If you want truly beautiful, affordable grips, take a look at Ahrends rare wood grips in amboyna burl or lignum vitae - not checkered though.

All my 1911s have Ahrends grips, I'm partial to the combat, full checkered ones, in ebony. The burl ones are beautiful, I'd love to have some, but smooth just doesn't work for me.

Thanks for all the responces. Went with Tulipwood, diamond checkered from Hogue. Ordered this morning, price $39.95. I was leaning towards Coco Bolo, and I already have a set in Kingwood from Wilson Combat.

Got the Cocobolo Diamond grips from Ahrends yesterday. On my Kimber Stainless Target Classic, MAN does it make a pretty gun. And it handles well too..

Gotta love it.....

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

what about ebony?
gorgoreus black finish and very hard dense grain hardwood.
many the mexican kid.
p.s. kim aherns makes good pistol grips for m1911a1.

Grips arrived Friday evening. They are very nice. Wood is predominately yellow with a pronounced red grain. Checkering is sharp and clean. My stainless Kimber looks real good now.

Thanks for all who posted.

I posted this question on its own thread, but I think most of the respondents thought I was talking about rubber grips.

What I am wondering is who all has wooden grips that wrap around the front with finger grooves, either one-piece or two that meet tightly in the middle?

I've got Iron Wood on mine... Blood Wood would look great... If your going for exclusive - go for some exotic wood... looks very nice and is something to talk about when you get pulled over and the Officer asks to see it.
Maybe get you out of that ticket ;)

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back