1911 - why grind chunks out of the slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankeny

I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore more threads about my malfunctioning Kimber, but I am really wondering about one of the "repairs" they did.

One of the problems was that the slide wouldn't stay back on an empty magazine. Well, when I got my pistol back from Kimber I noticed they took a flexible shaft or Dremmel (spelling?) tool and ground the inside of the slide away on both sides just behind the round part that houses the recoil spring plug. They ground back about 1/8 inch on each side removing the "grooves" that the frame rails ride in. I don't know if I got the terminology right, but I think the description should give you an idea of what was done.

Anyhow, it looks like hell, but of course is only visible when the slide is removed. Tell me, why would Kimber do this? Is this a normal type of "fix". Maybe one of you gunsmiths can help me out here.

They did this because they bought a bunch of out of spec slide stops from someone and the notches are too narrow. My Kimber had the slide stop problem. They sent me another, and it was worse than the first. Instead of taking the time to correct the problem properly, they just forced it.

If interested, do a search on my username and look for the thread on the subject of not locking back and the fix.

If I was you, I would be real P'd at Kimber.

Johnboy

It actually sounds like they relieved the forward slide rails so the slide will move farther to the rear. It sounds like the slide might have had a limited travel and that might have caused the locking problem.

This would indicate a very "out of spec" slide since most will travel enough that you can add a shok-buff and still lock back. I wonder if they removed some material at the forward end of the frame rails as well?

Did it fix the problem?

Mikey

Education costs money. You just proved it to yourself. Next time buy a used Colt 45 Auto.

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Mikey:Yeah, it fixed the problem. Like you, I figured the material was removed to allow more rearward travel, but I wasn't sure. A friend of mine first noticed it. My concern is that when I go to sell the pistol, if the buyer strips it down and sees the fix, he/she might assume some basement gunsmith was hacking on the thing. Is that a valid concern or unwarranted paranoia?

It's sad when a good name get abused. Kimber in name, but not in quality.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

If you ever have the opportunity to snap a few close up photos of this work I sure would like a look at the "work" they did. Ive been machining for some 30+ years and gunsmithing and that with the resources available at the Factory that Kimber would lay into it with a rotary tool and even show obvious "evidence" of the rework really amazes me. If they have manufactured out of spec slides how could they not issue a bulletin and re-call. Thats pretty sad. If it were some slight material removal,SLIGHT, but it doesnt sould like it.
Boy oh boy oh boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back