1911 vs. Glock (unsupported barrel question only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bull

I took apart my beloved Glock 30, and also took apart my beloved Colt Commander to look at the chambers.

I love them both, but carry the Glock because it goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger and hits where I aim it.

I was wondering about this "unsupported chamber" deal. In my example, it *appears* to my untrained eye that the Commander has much more chamber support than the Glock.

I hate to say this because I don't want to fuel the fires about this Glock kB crap which is almost %100 reloaded ammo that is suspect, and Glocks are not the only guns to blow.

But, I have a question, because most people say that the 1911 chamber is unsupported and so is the Glock's. This makes people wonder why Glock's have been blamed for having an unsupported chamber, but 1911's generally are not blamed for this. But, it appears to me that the 1911 has much more chamber support in the 6 O'Clock position than the Glock 30 does. (For the record, there have been no Glock 30 kB's, but it is the only one Glock .45 I have).

So, is there some reason why my Commander chamber looks much more supported than my Glock? Is the 1911 chamber much more supported than the Glock as it appears to me?

Ps- Haven't many 1911's blown up with bad reloads before?

To really get a handle on the "unsupported" case stuff you need to look at the internal dimensions of a cartridge case. The best way is to section one and stick half in the chamber so you can see all of this.

The brass is very thick at the base, but tapers upward until it gets to the basic wall thickness. If the feed ramp of the barrel is cut so that the thinner portion of the case is not supported it can be a problem.

Assuming that both the Colt and Glock are standard your observation is probably accuratte.

While it isn't unheard of for a GM to have a ruptured case it's pretty rare. It certainly isn't limited to reloaded ammo though for if the feed ramp is cut too deeply into the chamber any ammo will fail. Best answer is still to examine a few fired cases and if they look like pregnant guppies take appropriate action<G>

I believe one reason the 1911-type pistols don't kB as much is they are usually chambered in 45 ACP, a much milder round (17,000psi IIRC) than the 40 or 9mm (30-35,000psi). You can reload 45 brass multiple, multiple times, but I would not try to get that long a life out of the more highly stressed rounds.

My Colt Super 38 makes the +P factory brass look like pregnant guppies at the first firing. I load it a few times, then toss it.

A 10 cent piece of brass is not worth injuring yourself or a fine weapon. When in doubt, toss it!

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Both the 1911 and the Glock's are unsupported... the Glocks more so. NOT a problem with the low-pressure .45acp round as others have said. Almost all the KB's in Glocks have been with .40's... with too-hot reloads.

You can get a supported chamber barrel for your 1911, but don't need it.

no worries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back