1911 Value?

Fred

Harley,

I have a 1911 (not A1) that has been the source of some controversy between a couple of smiths. One tells me it has little value, the other says a lot because it is an original 1911. The finish is parkerized, overall condition is probably 40 to 50%.

Details as follows:

Grips - checkered wood, no identifying marks

Right side of slide - MODEL OF U.S. ARMY
Right side of frame - NO 101xxx

Left side of slide - PATENTED APR. 20, 1897, SEPT. 9, 1902, DEC. 19, 1905, FEB. 14, 1911, AUG. 19, 1913. This followed by the Colt horse emblem, then COLT'S P.T.F.A. MFG. CO HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.
Left side of frame - UNITED STATES PROPERTY

There is also a lanyard lug behind the magazine well.

So, what do you think this 1911 is worth?? Thanks for any info you can provide.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

I believe the pistol would have been refinished because the original Model 1911s were blued, not parkerized, IIRC.

I would call that gun, if mechanically sound, a shooter, or a curio worth around $400. HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

FRED:
According to my records, the 1911 that you have was made in 1912, and as previously mentioned, was originally blued, indicating that it has been refinished.

My records further indicate that this pistol could have been arsenal refinished at the Augusta, Rock Island, or Springfield Armorys. These pistols were parterized rather than blued, which reduced the value considerably from the original blued model. The value, from your description, would be EXC=$750.00 to POOR=$250.00

HJN

Back