1911 upgrades? what do you consider a must?

MusHraeddur

i'm new to the 1911 world. i was wondering what your opinions of what you feel is a "must" upgrade to any 1911. i realize that opinions will vary, but i figure this will help introduce me to what's out there. thanks in advance for your replies

Hello. Over the years, I've come to think that less is more, so to speak. What I "must have":

1. Reliability
2. High Visibility Sights that are "on."
3. Trigger-pull that's clean and if not 4.5 lbs or a bit less, at least clean.
4. Wide, upturned grip safety as I get eatten alive by the old grip safety.

There are other things that I like, but for me, the above 4 are what I "must" have on the 1911 platform.

Best.

Hi, Mr. Camp hit the nail on the head. I agree, those four are a "must". I also offer, replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring with a heavy duty set. About 18 to 18 1/2 lbs should do it. This will help save the pistol frame from recoil damage.
Take care,
Clem

Most 1911s are reliable right out of the box, so no reliability work is usually necessary.
If the gun didn't come with high-profile sights, I would recommend getting them.
Other mods are dependant on the size of your hands and length of your fingers. Me, I need a beavertail grip safety and the concomittant commander hammer to avoid hammer bite. I also prefer a straight mainspring housing for the gun to point well for me. I like having a slightly extended thumb safety to make positive safety placement easier.
Aside from that, can't think of anything else.

Reliable magazine(s). Without them, you have a single shot pistol.

first VACop, a reliable Colt is an oxymoron.

THings needed on a 1911; Heinie or Novak Nights Sights
Speed bump beavertail
Extended Thumb safety
Dehorned-NO, None, Zilch shrap corners/edges; they are hell on the hands doing clearing drills and on holsters
Good magazines, not gun show specials
1911 that goes bang all the time

Anything else is bonus points. Personally I like having an arched S&A magwell, ambi safeties, crown the barrel, and a videcki style trigger.

I Agree

I agree with V.A. Cop, the Colt 1991A1s I have shot have been good right out of the box. If I had a choice I would opt for either a Springfield 1911A1 (loaded) or Kimber and live happily ever after. Regards, Richard

All my 1911s have been Series 70 or older, so reliability was never a problem.

I think a good trigger is the first priority; the high-visibility sights are second. I say this because of a defensive pistol class I took in 1980; the box-stock trigger on my 1912-manufacture pistol caused more of a problem than did the rudimentary sights.

The dimensions of my hand lead me to be most comfortable with the original 1911 grip; to prevent hammer-bite I add the Colt-style, flat beaver-tail in preference to the rounded-upward type. But that's just from personal preference.

There are other little tweakings, common to the minor improvements one makes on anything, whether it be vehicles, rifles, revolvers, etc. There is no such thing as "perfect out of the box". Usable, sure. Reliable, sure. "Good enough", sure. Perfect? No.

Regards,

Art

You want it reliable first and foremost. I've seen good magazines (I like wilson 8 & 7 rounders) clear up many problems on otherwise fine 1911s. If you start with a moderately priced model (kimber, sprinfield, colt, et al.) you'll have a reliable pistol out of the box and will be dollars ahead rather than buying a cheaper stripped pistol and having to upgrade piece by piece. You can't go wrong with the main manufacturers. Enjoy.

All a 1911 really needs is a decent set of sights (I like trijicon),a basic tune up (to insure the extractor tension is correct,plunger tube checked,basic action work,Videki trigger,polishing),and a couple cases of 230g hardball.

As far as mags go,Colt,Wilson,metal form are all good,in 7 round configuration. The springs are too weak in the 8 rounders,and will affect reliability sooner or later.

As for all the extras,up swept grip safeties,guide rods,x-power springs,ext slide stops and safety locks, save all that money for ammo and range fees.

Reliability, good sights and good trigger are the only musts. Most out-of-the-box 1911's will give you at least two out of three. I like an extended thumb safety, and can do without a beavertail grip safety (or any grip safety, for that matter). Some guns have distinct preferences for certain brands of magazines, so stock up on the kind that your gun likes.

Any chance to show off...

View

In order of importance,

1) Test fire your 1911 to see if it is reliable with the ammo you want to use. *IF* not, then get a reliability job from a REPUTABLE gunsmith. They cost about $40. Otherwise, leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2) Better trigger. Have a Videcki or similar match trigger installed on your gun and a 4.5-5lb trigger job. This isn't that expensive, either, but will make your pistol second to none in shootability.

3) Better sights. Personally, I think Novaks are the best but there are alot of good choices out there.

Gravy: I like an extended thumb safety because it is easier to operate, the Wilson Combat tactical version works good and isn't too big. If the hammer actually bites you then a different hammer and/or beavertail grip safety are good. Otherwise, I say give them a pass. A good set of checkered hardwood grips always looks good and gives you a more secure grip.

By the way, my Colt is extremely reliable. It would feed Pro Load Gold Dot JHPs perfectly BEFORE it had a reliability job. :D

Back