1911 trigger removal

Unkel Gilbey

Howdy,

I hadn't pulled my pistol apart for a while, and I wanted to get the trigger out so that I could really clean the stirrup grooves and grease them up. Having already removed everything else with the exception of the Mag. release and the trigger, I then turned my attention to this job.

It had been a while, and I'd lost track of my shop manual's in the move, but having done it before, I thought that it'd be a snap. But I cannot get the screw on the back of the mag release to budge.

The pistol is an alloy frame Commander - although I don't think that it makes a difference when if comes to dissassembly, I have a set of B-Square gunsmith screw drivers to use, and I'll be damned if the tip on the one that I'm using is starting to bend.

So what am I doing wrong here? Is it a left handed thread? Is there some sort of locking pin/device that I'm forgetting about? What methods of removing stuck/stubborn fasteners do you all know about that aren't going to mess up that alloy frame?

I appreciate any and all answers. Thanks in advance.

Unkel Gilbey

Are you pushing the mag release button in about 1/16" before you try to turn the screw?

The screw will turn about 1/4 turn counterclockwise when you get the mag release button in the right spot.

The mag catch retainer is NOT a screw. Press the mag release in until almost flush with the frame and turn the release 1/4 turn to the left (counterclockwise). The catch will then come out to the right.

Jim

Well shave my hair call me Jarhead! That did the trick just like it was supposed to. I must have gotten really lucky the last time I pulled the trigger out - as I can't recall having to press in on the mag release (slightly) to get that catch to release.

Thanks much for the clear and concise instructions. You've probably saved yet another LW Commander frame! (Not to mention my sanity!)

It's a keeper fella's!!!

Unkel Gilbey

Back