1911 Slides and Frames

Joe D

I have decided to start building a few 1911s again after a 10 year lapse. Much to my dismay Springfield has stopped selling their Match frame and slide kit. I built 50+ guns over the years using this kit with good results. My question is who offers a good frame and slide today for a reasonable price? I see some smiths use the Caspian frames. How do the cast slides and frames hold up now? I had tried Caspian years ago without good results. I am not excited about the Jericho frames and slides that Kimber, McCormick and Wilson use either. My main concern with the cast frames and slides is lack of hardness.

Joe: Caspian now makes bar stock slides and frames which is what I use when I build cutom 1911`s. You might also try Rock River Arms slides and frames.

go to www.brownwells.com and order a catalog.
if ya allredy have one then your right no SA
kits but Les-baer or other they have listed are great stuff,I'm still buying different frames and slides, I go for cheap with quality, forged frames are expensive, so I
use cast,they work. :}

Caspian frames are GREAT, I've been building winning pistols on them for years. Lots o' meat on those rails, get slide fits that are out of this world. When you see the piece 10,000 rounds later, slide/frame is as tight as the day you lapped it. No disrespect, but Essex was making some real s#@% years ago. Did they change? Yes, Les stamps his name on some real classy steel, but for the money I'll take Caspian any day. I'm a real crank when it comes to investment castings , I ordinarily don't care for them. But, the proof is in the pudding - ask Bill Ruger! Hell, Ford motor company casts milling cutters and they work great!

Thanks for the input. I have been buying from Brownells for close to thirty years. They are the best company I have done business with regardless of product. Does Caspian have a website? It is my understanding that they offer a billet frame in addition to their cast one. I did see a 1911 today at a gun shop that had a Caspian frame. The front strap was machine checkered and deeply undercut at the trigger guard. The frame looked good.

Joe,
Check this out for a bargain !
MANUFACTURER: Caspian
MODEL: Other - See Description
ACTION: Semi-auto
CALIBER: .45 Automatic (ACP)
CONDITION: NIB
DESCRIPTION: Caspian 1911 single stack 1911 frame (receiver only). Made from stainless steel and featuring a finger groove on the frontstrap like the old Safari pistols. New, unused, does NOT have a plunger tube, ejector or grip screw bushings installed. Won't last long... $95 and I pay the shipping to your FFL.
Entered: September 2, 1999
Expires: March 26, 2000

Seller:
Mike's Guns
Tucson, AZ 85749
Seller/Business information:
Hours: anytime
Items can be returned up to three days after purchase.
Purchased items are shipped at the rate of $10.00 per Item.
The seller holds a FFL.
Seller will transfer other firearms.
Transfer terms: $20.00 per Item
For more information on the sale of this firearm please contact:
Mike Detty
Refer to Item: GXF12747
Email: kneenut@aol.com
And of course you need a "top end" too...
Colt 45 ACP slide with barrel $200.00 Colt military issue slide with Colt Series 70 barrel, match bushing, firing pin, spring and stop, extractor. Slide is "in the white" with no sights and no markings. Ejection port has been lower and flared. Also available S/S extended slide stop, grip saftey

Seller: mark
Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: Call For Terms
Electronic Mail: mark.g.twarowski@bge.com

Phone: (410) 265-4552

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

[This message has been edited by HS (edited November 28, 1999).]