1911 slide not locking back

mattfra

George,

I have a Springfield Armory 1911A1 that the slide will not lock back on the last round. If I cycle it by hand with an empty mag inserted it locks back every time. The magazines I have fired it with are McCormick Shooting Stars and one Springfield Armory mag with a McCormick follower installed. All mags have brand new Wolff Springs (5%). The recoil spring is an 18.5# Wolff Spring with about 900 rounds of use. This gun has always worked fine but as of late and tonight (I just got back from the range) that last round will not lock back no matter what I do. Is my slide stop worn out? It is the factory piece. The gun probably has about 2300 rounds through it since new. Help! Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by mattfra (edited September 25, 1999).]

First, remove the slide and put the slide stop back in. Then watch the action when an empty mag is inserted to make sure the follower properly contacts the slide stop. Also make sure the slide stop itself is not binding. Then take out the slide stop out and fit it by hand into the slide to make sure it positions properly. Also make sure the cut in the slide is the proper length, that the edge of the slide stop cut is not rounded or battered and that the slide stop itself is not rounded or battered.

A problem with some of the M1911 clones is that the slide is not properly hardened at the stop cutout, allowing it to become worn. Sometimes the slide stop is not properly hardened, and it gets battered.

Jim

yeah one of my Ballister Molinas got beat
bad on the slide stop area and wouldn't hold slide back, became rounded and the slide would slip off stop cutout, I suppose I could file area flat ,but like you said if the metal is soft whats the point? I wonder if Springfield Armory would replace your slide because of softness??? I'd call em and
see, nothing to lose all to gain,:}

First thing I'd try would be another magazine with a different follower. I've had nothing but trouble out of mags with shooting star followers. Threw the things away and put in Wilson follower kits. No more problems.

Jim Keenan, zot, and Gray Fox:

Thanks for the replies. Ya know the slide stop area on the slide now that I look at it is not as squared as it should be. Looking at the "left side of the slide" the right side of the notch is slightly rounded off. The magazines have never given me trouble before. (If I had to do over though, I would buy Wilson magazines. Of course if I had to do over I would have bought a Wilson Combat pistol!) I may give Springfield a call. Thanks to all!! Have a good Sunday!!

[This message has been edited by mattfra (edited September 26, 1999).]

Hi, Mattfra and guys,

If you look at the slides on real M1911/A1s and some clones, you may see a discoloration at the slide stop cut. That is due to heat treatment to harden the slide at that point. Many clone makers save bucks by not doing this, with resultant battering and rounding.

Yes, sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Jim

Back