1911 Sights Question

Banzai

Ok, I wanna put adjustable sights on my SA 1911A1 Loaded model. It currently has Novak carry sights on it from the factory, and I'm really only gonna use it as a range gun, so it should have sights that I can adjust and play with. The sight dovetail measures (at the bottom) .485. I called SA to try and get the target sights that they offer on their target models, but the person that I talked to today seemed even more clueless than I am about such things.

Is there a Bo Mar style that can be put on my pistol with out remachining it? I looked at the Brownells catalog, but like I said, I'm basically clueless as to interchangeability. Seems like everything else said to use a .465 dovetail. If I'm already too wide, what the heck do I do? The ones that did say that they worked with the stock sight cut I called about, and they couldn't tell me how big a "Stock" cut was!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's simple: I should've bought a pistol that had target sights on it to begin with, in light of the trouble I'm having!

I just want BoMar style adjustable target sights. Seems like to me the easiest thing would be to get the stock thing right from SA, but that was a dead end. The shops around here said "Call Brownells". Been there, done that. Now I'm here.

HELP. I love my new SA 1911A1 Loaded, 500 flawless rounds so far in only 2 weeks, but I want to add one more thing! :)

Thanks

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

Well, you're just about out of luck. :( The Novak cut is different than any other except for the MMC adjustable. It has a prfile that is very similar to the Novak & is interchangeable according to my sources. Your dovetail is too wide for anything else unless you can get someone to machine a custom base for a Bomar blade. I have done that before to correct for an oversize dovetail cut in the slide. The front site would probably have to be changed also, but that would be the easy part. MMC would be cheapest way out, though the custom base would be a neat coversation piece. :D

Banzai, I just thought of another one. I have welded up and recut the rear sight dovetail but unless you plan to have at least the slide refinished it's really not an option. George

George, how do you keep the slide from warping like a piece of spagetti? :confused: I tried welding the rear site area on a junk slide as an experiment & it pulled the rails out of alignment enough that I had a hell of a time getting the slide to fit on the frame. Took 2 hours of filing. :mad: Others that I know have had similar results. Still, I know that some how it must be possible. I've done frames with no problem, but they are not heat treated the same.
Thanks, Bill

Bill, I pack them with Brownells Heat Stop Paste and surround the outside surface with it as well. Haven't had a problem yet. I've used the same method to shorten slides by cutting between the ejection port and muzzle then rejoining. Have also saved several cracked slides using the same method. George

Back