1911 Shoulder Holsters

So, I came across this article in Google.

http://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-1911-shoulder-holster-review/

I've been open carrying my 1191 all year in a standard hip holster, but I find that I occasionally snag the rear sight ("tactical" LPA adjustable) on things, and that a shoulder holster would be more comfortable and would give me a better range of motion in some occasions when I plan to carry for extended periods.

I was looking at the Triple K Deluxe holster, which is $90 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y71VBI?tag=reloaderaddict-20

Wanted to see if anyone had any opinions of this holster, or any reviews. I tried asking around to see if anyone had a better holster but had no bites on that, and I'm not yet prepared to drop 2x that much on a Galco holster.

Any thoughts on that particular holster? Any others someone would recommend at a sub-$100 price point?

I understand that you generally get what you pay for, and that a more expensive holster would be more comfortable and would therefore be more likely to be used, but I have a hard time justifying close to $200 for a holster right now. At the same time, I don't want to get some cheap vinyl or velcro stuff either.

It's a full size 1911 in 9mm, with a Dawson Precision 10-round mag, and two spare 10-round mags I'd also like to carry.

Thanks for your input.

I prefer a vertical holster, the gun is not always trying to fall out of the holster and hangs very well when you put on a jacket or something over it. Horizontal holsters print because the long lines of the gun are perpendicular to your body's long lines.

Partial to my Uncle Mike's Side Kick. Used, occasionally, it in the CF with a BHP, but a 1911A1 fits too. Comfortable and cheap to buy.

Vertical holsters are the way to go.

You can get an older Bianchi on Ebay for between $20 and $50. They are a pretty good leather holster.

Guess I'm the odd man out.

I don't carry in a shoulder holster often, but always carry that way while on travel. Riding in vehicles wearing seat belts precludes getting at a gun at 3 o'clock rapidly, and I like being able to draw while seated from a shoulder holster. I use a Galco shoulder holster with a horizontal ride. It puts the 1911 grip where I want it while seated in vehicles. Your mileage may vary.

I currently carry a CZ97 in a High Noon,Under Armor, horizontal shoulder holster with a double mag carrier on the opposite side. I find it very comfortable and it offers lots of adjustment. Also have a Ross leather vertical style for 1911 and High Power. I have found the vertical style does conceal better by is harder to reach the grip to draw. The High Noon rig does a great job of distributing the weight (total of 6 lb. with the 97 and loaded mags). I also have a Bianchi X15 vertical holster for my S&W 610 - 6 1/2". It too is comfortable with the big revolver.

Ted Blocker up Portland way makes a hukelberry style, whitch hangs in a convienent location if you are wearing cold weather coveralls. Not quite a chest mount and not quite under your arm. Sort of the millatary style.

retention

I'm of the opinion that open/public carry with any sort of holster robs one of surprise and descretion should an incident occur. But, many are doing it, so sentiment aside here are more comments.

If on does indeed open carry in a public environment, I see the need for mechanical retention, at the Level 3 degree. I am not sure if who offers such a shoulder rig. Keep in mind too that with a horizontal shoulder rig, and to some degree with a vertical rig, you are offering the handgun to an assailant in a scuffle essentially butt first. All the above applies to most crossdraw rigs as well. On a positive note, shoulder and crossdraw have some merit while seated, as in a vehicle.

Now, for bumming about your place, or wandering about the hills, I've found a rig that works for me is the old miltary "aviators" holster. Another down the same path, is the tanker holster. The aviator is a bit less cumbersome as the harness is not as complicated, the tanker has a third strap that is a hassle to me.

Back