1911 rifle?

Red Label

I visited a local dealer today that I had heard about and was really impressed with his selection of pistols and rifles. I was playing with some 1911's and he hands me this rifle-looking thing with a barrel and skeleton stock, but no guts. He pops the slide off the Springfield .45 and slides what's left of it into the "rifle". Bingo -- now I am holding a stainless .45 ACP RIFLE with compensator and dot scope. I think he mentioned the name of the manufacturer but I've forgotten now. He said it ran around $220 (w/o scope) and was made in Kalispel, Montana. If anyone knows what this was, I'd appreciate some info. A website link would be great also. Thanks!

I can't be sure it's the same manufacturer, but Dillon Precision is now selling the Mech-Tech Carbine Conversion Unit for 1911 frames. The picture in their catalog does not show a compensator, but the kit does come with a Weaver-style base for mounting an optical/red dot sight.

That would be http://www.dillonprecision.com

Thanks John. That's the one! The one I saw did have a compensator on it too. And it was a hundred bucks cheaper here at my dealer. I think I know what "toy" I'll be buying next...

Here's the link direct to their site:http://www.mechtechsys.com/

They say that they will also have the carbine conversion kit for Glock, Beretta, and Hi-powers soon.

BTW... it wasn't a compensator, just a muzzle extension.

Do you have a number for your dealer? I have been thinking of picking one of these units . And if I can save afew dollars it would help. If I can get a hold of your source it might sinch the deal for me. Thanks markmcj

[Edited by markmcj on 03-07-2001 at 10:19 PM]

I handled one in Portland once and was VERY impressed. It works on the Para Ordnance frame also. My only question, which is why I didn't buy it, is whether there is a different version for Ramped barrels than there is for standard ones?

carb1a.jpg

Greetings,

I have one of these in .45 ACP and they are way fun and accurate. However, you can't take them apart to clean them. The firing pin on mine became stuck, and I had to send it back to the factory for service for a job that should have taken me five minutes.

Regards.

I've had a CCU for over a year now and I still love it. Its just plain fun to shoot. And VERY quiet. I've put about 6,000 rounds through mine and its seen me through two carbine courses without a single failure.

What I done/gotten done to mine:
added the walnut butt stock panels
throat and polish
install sling swivel hooks
added a Aimpoint Comp ML red dot
removed the barrel extension (its just silly to have it)

Sometime I want to get a dedicated 1911 frame for it. For now I'm using the the frame from my Kimber ultra carry.

I have one in 460 Rowland as well. Awesome shooter, lots of fun.

I bought mine from http://www.concealco.com/ccu.html .

You can purchase an adapter for the Para-Ordnance frames, and I think it works for the ramped barrels as well.

Mine is sitting on top of an AMT hardballer frame, and has been extremely reliable.

Marty

Just thought I'd add

that I got my CCU back today with a nice note, all fixed with a new, heat treated firing pin. I've done nothing to mine except shoot and clean it, but I may remove the useless muzzle extension if someone can convince me that it doesn't protect the crown of the barrel from damage.

Regards.

Back