1911 rifle attachment

CBlackjr

I have been seeing an attachment that seems to replace the slide on a 1911 style pistole. It cost around 350 dollars. I been looking into getting a 1911 and a rifle. This seems to be a ok idea asuming this it is not some peace of crap attachment. Please post any comment or if you have one tell me what you think of it.

oh and BTW I want to make sure you can take this attachment on and off, I don't want to permantly turn a handgun into a rifle. If that is the case I will just get a rifle.

It still won't be a rifle. I think I read an article about a year ago on what you are describing. It is removable. If I can find the magazine I'll post the name and issue.

You are referring to the Mech-Tech Carbine Conversion Unit. It is very simple to attach - you just take off your slide and slide the frame on to the CCU. Bingo, you're ready to go.

Advantages: Accurate within the ranges afforded by the .45 ACP, reasonably light and handy.

Disadvantages. You still have a .45 cal rifle with inferior ballistics. No sights so you need to get a optic of some sort, although a cheap red dot will do just fine.

Summary - a fun plinking tool, but if you need a rifle, get a rifle :) Oh yes, I sold mine after 100 rounds or so.

I didn't. I love mine. I believe it uses blowback to cycle the action. No tipping barrel. You can shoot very hot loads. With the sixteen inch barrel I have no problem shooting 6 inch groups at 100 yds off of a rest. I have an inexpensive Tasco red dot scope mounted on it.

It is secured by the slide stop, although the slide stop doesn't function as a slide stop. It is only a securing pin for the upper. The hammer safety works, of course. And the action can be manually cycled with the safety on.

Actually, I think the MechTech upper is a little heavy. The weight may be a bit much on the frame rails. If you were to carry it much, it would be advisable to not use the lower (frame) handgrip for that purpose.

MechTech claims they are coming out with a "metallic sighting system" and a sling system, but that has been coming for a year now.

See http://www.mechtechsys.com

I don't own one, but have handled a bunch of them at gunshows and it looks like a great idea to me. I would like to have one, but it is way down the list. I notice that Wilson Combat has one in their catalog, it looks just like the Mech-Tech but it doesn't say it is one so I don't know. I wouldn't get all hung up on the ballistics of a .45 ACP out of a rifle. It depends on what you are REALLY going to do with it. If you are going to be plinking 99.9% of the time REALLY, who cares. I have a couple 9mm rifles that I use as a Jeep carry gun and a coyote gun. I think pistol caliber rifles are terrific for medium game at real distances (not the BS distances that you hear about after a couple beers). Out to a hundred yards or a little more, it is fine.

I personally don't see the point. If I want half a gun, $350 is way too much to pay for it. I'd much rather take that money and buy a real Carbine.

johnwill
What is a real carbine ? An action with a barrel and stock. That seems to be what we have right here. It has the same familiar grip, the same familiar trigger pull, the same magazines, and I don't know of very many carbines for that kind of money. These are supposed to have a match barrel. I paid about $100 more than that for a Ruger PC-9 which takes the same magazines as my P-89. I guess it is one of those products that some people like and some people just can't buy into the idea.

Back