1911 reliability work

LPIII

Inactive
I'm looking to pick up my first M1911, non customized. I was told that they generally need reliability work. Exactly what does reliability work entail?

------------------

Well, it pretty much means making sure it works as designed every time you call on it to do so. Feed from the magazine into the chamber, return to battery, eject cleanly, all safeties work properly, slide locks back on empty magazine, etc.

You 'been talking to a Glocker?

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 25, 2000).]

Glocks are very good and exceptionally reliable pistols. But they are not gods to be worshiped, although some people seem to think so. Many other pistols are also good and reliable.

The reputation of the Model 1911 type was made by the service pistol firing ball ammo. It has more copies and clones than any other pistol ever made and some of the clones are not so good. Further, today everyone expects pistols to function with off-the-wall ammo that they were never designed to handle. Still, there are a lot of very good, very reliable 1911 types, and other good reliable pistols of other types.

Glocks are good, and you can't go far wrong with one. But they are not the be-all and end-all of pistols.

Jim

LPIII, I was talking with Randy Bimson of Brownells tech support staff Thursday about a similar subject. If you are only going to fire ball or FMJ ammo through the pistol chances are it will function just fine. But as was already mentioned, when you go to shorter semi-wadcutters and hollowpoints or lighter/heavier loads you can run into problems. I've always believed in deciding what ammo I am going to use and then tuning my 1911 to it. That's one question I ask almost all my 1911 customers. On guns that I build or do reliability packages on the mag lips, throat and feed ramp, extractor and ejector are altered/adjusted to work with just about any ammo. My function load for these is an ultra short semi-wadcutter. If the gun will feed this round it will feed any. George

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I've always believed in deciding what ammo I am going to use and then tuning my 1911 to it.[/quote]

Amen.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 27, 2000).]

Back