1911 Red Dot Offer

shawn

Got a Kimber Heritage before the New Year. This is my first 1911 and I wanted something a little different and needed the ambi-saftey.

Part of the "special" is an offer for a half price Leopold (sp?) mount with red dot site. It comes with a choice of a 4 min red dot or an 8 min red dot. Mount and site is $180.

I am new to pistols (first non 22) and not familiar with people shooting with red dots. Grew up around rifles only using standard sites.

My question is do people really mount these things on pistols and if so, is a 4 min or a 8 min red dot more appropriate for pistols?

S-
Shawn

Yes people mount these on their pistols. The best pistol shots in the world use optical sights; IPSC, Steel Challenge, Bullseye, you name it. Go to: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ They will fill you in on dot size etc. I am using a Leupold optical sight on my Ruger PC-9 rifle. Very pleased with it. I got the 4mm dot.

I recently purchased a Ruger Mark II and put a Tasco 30mm Accu Dot - Red Dot sight on it. I believe the dot is 3MOA whatever that means...

I am totally stoked on it for plinking and target shooting. Would be great for varmitt hunting as well.

Cant say that I would recommend it on a weapon used for defense. It would block too much of your field of view. Besides you have to turn it on.

The coolest thing about red dot sights is that there are no sights to align. Simply look into the tube, place the dot on the target, pull the triger. It does not matter where the dot is in the tube. If the dot is on the target - so is the bullet.

Lots of fun to play with.. Enjoy!

Before you mount the scope, or have it mounted, there is something to consider. Kimber, in their infinite wisdom of offering the Heritage Edition did so with an ambi thumb safety. The scope mount is not compatible with an ambi safety and you have to remove the right side thumb safety. You are then left with and unsightly hole in a very nice looking gun. Your options are to find some sort of plug for it or to have the ambi safety replaced with a regular thumb safety. Feel free to double check this. The information I have on this came from one of my gun rags a few months back. Maybe Kimber has changed things since then, I don't know. - just something to consider.

Back