1911 recommendations for the range

Status
Not open for further replies.

2cats

I'm interested in getting a 1911, and while a little while ago, the answer seemed to simply be Kimber, it seems that others have thrown their hats into the ring to good effect.

This gun will not be used for self defense; it will be used at the range. I would like to not go too far above 1 large out the door. I'd also like to get as much of the classic 1911 feel as possible, for the experience.

What recommendations might you have? Thanks very much!!

2cats

Before there were $2,500 guns advertised in "Front Sight", folks used Gov't model Colts with such things as BarSto barrels and some careful gunsmithing to get very tight groups.

I'm prone to start with an old clunker which has had a lot of abuse--it's pretty cheap. That way I don't pay premium for stuff I'm gonna throw away.

I've had good luck with the "how-tos" in Halleck's book on the .45. If you read through it, you get ideas about what you want done on your gun, whether or not you do your own work.

I'm not knocking Kimber or anyone else. I just think that paying for a pretty finish on a gun doesn't make it shoot better. I believe that a quality barrel and bushing, some tweaks on the rails and the link pin and the sear/trigger are where the money oughta go. Sights, of course...Maybe stuff like the lightweight firing pin, etc. Lots of options.

FWIW, Art

Art's got it right. My favorite 1911 is a pre-enhanced, stainless, series 80 Government that had been carried a lot and shot very little. Lots of holster wear but mechanicaly tight. I paid $400 for the stock gun and put $500 worth of mods into it. Now I have a weapon that fits my specifications and shoots accuratly and very reliably for total $900. It will stand up to any Wilson or Baer as far as useability goes for much, much less money.
Just food for thought.

------------------
Join the NRA.

For the "classic 1911 feel" I'd pick a pistol as close as practicable to the Colt-Browning original. This could be a pre-enhanced Colt GM, as burrhead suggests. Or it could be a Colt 1991A1 of current manufacture. There are also other manufacturers (Springfield Armory, Auto-Ordnance) some of whose products approximate the Colt-Browning original, occasionally better than Colt itself.

Based on recent reports, I can't recommend the Colt 1991A1, although the Colt GM is still OK. Look around at gun shows. If you don't care too much about originality and finish, you can get a good GI M1911A1 (maybe mixed parts) for under $500, and it will probably be better than any of the clones for durability and reliability.

Jim

If you want something that has a lot of custom features out of the box, I can't recommend one of the Kimbers enough. A Custom Target, or if you really wanna shine...a Gold Match will give you a fantastic 1911 for a fair price.
Just for the record, I just got a Gold Match (blued) for $830. For really good Kimber prices, visit pages.hotbox.com/biz/jcarmory . You'll have to call for a price quote on Kimbers though.

[This message has been edited by shamster (edited October 05, 1999).]

If you don't mind tinkering, buy a Colt 1991 and modify from there. Hallock's book is a good starter and back in the '80s, was the best book to have. He's been superceded by Kuhnhausen who gets very technical. Half the fun of the 1911 is playing with it.

A word of caution though, don't try to make that trigger too light. Safety first!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Mr. Keenan, I have two 1991A1 pistols (GM style) that are solid, reliable guns. I'm about to get another (Commander-style), but before doing so would like to hear more about any problems you've had with them. Thank you.

For $1000 you should get a Kimber. I've handled many, fired some, and never met a disappointed owner.
Good 1911. Very accurate family of pistols.

ps what'sa matter HS, trouble with your trigger finger? Maybe the 10 is too much.....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

If you want a nice, solid version of the 1911 than I would suggest a Ballister-Rigaud or Molina which are Argentinian redesigns of the 1911 with the 90% of the top end of the gun(area contained within the slide) being interchangeable with colt 1911. Also the trigger in my opinion is better, being that the trigger pivots at the top which provides a smoother pull no matter what happens to the gun durring use, I have seen a colt 1911A1 droped in the sand and then the trigger binded because a grain of sand got between the trigger and the lower sliding surface in the guard, where as a pivoting trigger does not touch the guardand does not get jammed. Also the grip safety is gone, thus allowing a one-handed de-cock.

Get what you are comfortable with, and like it. Opinion is everything anthe main thing that make freedom great.

Good luck
Richard Cizik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back