1911 question:

If your gun has the typical GI type front sight, dovetail type front sights won't fit your gun without machine work.
There's also differences in the dovetail for the rear sight, depending on the manufacturer.
It's a complicated world.

If your gun is this one: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...eview-rock-island-armory-gi-standard-fs-1911/ And, it follows the original Colt .45 ACP 1911A1 system, the front sight has a small tenon that fits into and is swaged into the slide. That system was only adequate for holding the original all-too-small front sight. I one removes the original front sight and installs a even-slightly-heavier sight, it will quickly shoot loose. Therefore, in order to keep a new front sight from shooting loose, one should buy a gun with sights that are dovetailed onto the slide, or pay a gunsmith to execute the proper dovetails and install the better sights. Limited options in the case of a gun that follows the original G.I. sighting arrangement. Note to those who have yet to buy their first 1911 .45 ACP, you can pay more for good sights on a better model now, or you can pay a gunsmith for better sights later...your choice.

Up until about 10 years ago, nobody dovetailed the slide for front sights. Now just about everyone does. Why? Because it works. Take your 1911 to a smith and have the slide milled for a dovetail front sight.

I have a Hi Viz staked on a Caspian slide that has held up fine.
There are narrow tenon sights like USGI and wide tenon sights like current Colt. The Hi Viz is wide but can be filed to fit a narrow mortise.

Back