1911 problems (long post!)

Echo23TC

Bit of a long story here – be warned!
When I came home from basic, I went to my local gunsmith and had him build me a 45. I always knew that if I could only have one pistol, it was gonna be a 1911A1. Problem was, there was no way I could afford a Colt, and so I got my “parts built” gun for $200.00. I had the ‘smith put millet fixed sights on a slide that came from who knows where – no makers name, only a serial #. The frame looked parkerized, but who cared? The trigger pull was guesstimated at about 30 pounds. It felt like you had the safety on when you were trying to shoot it. No discernible creep, though (like you would have been able to tell!). But it was a Gov’t 45, and it was MINE! I went off to college, and the gun served me well for a couple of years. Then, while cleaning the gun after running through some of the early CCI Blazer 200gr. hollowpoints, which seemed to be really hot, I found that both of the frame rails were showing distinct cracks. Instant despair! The reason that the ‘smith was able to sell me such a cheap (and that’s definitely the right word) 1911 was because he used an alloy frame that was probably not of the highest quality to begin with. Fortunately, I had bought my second centerfire by then – a 357 magnum police turn in, so I wasn’t without a weapon. But, a new frame! And, I didn’t want another repeat, so no alloy frames!
I finally scraped together enough cash for a steel frame, and decided on an extended guide rod, 16 pound recoil spring, and shock buffers as well. The new frame hasn’t cracked, and I don’t expect it to. But the trigger was still horrible. Then, a new problem arose. When you fire the gun, it cycles and feeds, everything looks right, but the hammer won’t fall when the trigger is pulled. As a matter of fact, the trigger won’t reset. Pulling back on the hammer a little bit (tiny fraction of an inch) resets the trigger and allows another shot to be fired. At first, this only happened occasionally, but then it became an every shot type of thing. I figured it was the sear not engaging properly on that terrible trigger, so I bought a Cylinder and Slide trigger kit. This dramatically improved the trigger, but didn’t solve the trigger reset problem.
By that time, as you can probably imagine, I was getting a little annoyed with my bastard child. I put the gun away, and other than to take it out and look at it, I haven’t done anything to it. But now the siren song of the Government is getting louder. I need to get the gun functioning reliably, just to shut it up (Not really, the better it works, the louder and more often it speaks, so to speak!).
Now, all of you 1911 fans who have made it through to the end, what am I to do? Is this something I can fix myself? Or should it just go into a gunsmith? Any suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated!

Is the trigger absolutely "as issue"? Does it have the little allen screw to adjust overtravel?

If the backside of the trigger cross-bar is built up to take out "foreplay", it might not have been stoned down enough to leave that necessary small amount of "slop".

If the overtravel screw is in too far it can mess things up.

If neither is the case, I suggest a new hammer and sear. You oughta be able to find old GI stuff real cheap; try it and see if that solves your problem.

The "30-pound" pull sounds like somebody did some stoning of the sear/hammer engagement, and got the angles all wrong.

FWIW, Art

Thanks for the reply, Art. No, the trigger isn't "as issue". The Cylinder and Slide kit includes a new trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, main spring, three finger spring (never can remember what that one is called), and any other parts that go into the functioning of the trigger. The trigger does have an overtravel screw, which I set by turning in until the hammer would not fall, then backing out one turn past the point where it would fall. I just got the old gal out and was playing around - with the hammer down, if I grip the gun and squeeze the trigger, then, while holding pressure on the trigger, release my grip on the gun, the grip safety remains engaged, and will not release until the trigger is pushed forward. Will one of you guys with a functioning 1911 see if this happens with yours? Please be safe and unload BEFORE trying this at home! I'm wondering if I might possibly need a new grip safety.
Also, I forgot to mention that I cannot reproduce the malfunction by manually cycling the weapon, that is, squeezing the trigger to drop the hammer, holding the trigger to the rear while cycling the slide and returning to battery, then releasing pressure on the trigger to allow it to go forward. If I do that, it works. Every time. With or without an empty magazine in the well. Before I put the trigger kit in, I could occasionally get the malfunction, but not any more. This leads me to believe I'm getting closer, but we're not there yet!
Any other thoughts? Come on, I know there's lots of guys with more 1911 experience than I've got out there! Lets hear from you.

Assuming the gun is clean and oiled, it sounds like it might be a disconnector problem and could be as easy as installing a new spring, or even just bending the middle leaf a bit. That kind of problem is not easy to diagnose from a distance. If the first assumption is wrong, clean and oil the gun properly and see if that helps.

Jim

Either the right leg of the sear spring (3 leaf) is not tensioned enough or, more likely, the grip safety arm needs to be fit to the trigger. This is the lever that extends forward on the right side of the grip safety. It sounds like there is not quite enough clearance where it engages/disengages from the trigger. The bottom corner is where the fitting needs to be done. You can check this by removing the grips to have some visibility of the interaction. Look through the frame while you exercise the function & you will probably see where it hangs up at the interface between the trigger & grip safety arm.

Perhaps this will help

Echo, it appears as though you have 2 easily solved problems. (At least easy to find out if they are the problems.)
1. Take out the shock buffer. It may be that the slide is not going back far enough to fully engage the trigger into the sear. Or, it may be that the slide is too loose and not exerting enough downward force on the trigger when fully to the rear. If it's the buffer, you're home free. If it's the slide. you may want to go to a 'smith and have the frame rails peened to lower the slide.
2. It sounds as though the grip safety is riding on the back of the trigger bow. This will do two things. First, it will make your trigger pull extraordinarily heavy, and second, it will keep the trigger from returning after being pressed.
Wilson's has a sheet of paper in the package that comes with their grip safety that shows how to adjust it to fit properly. I don't happen to have one, right now, but if you talk real nicely to the folks at the gun store that carries Wilson parts, they may let you look at it.
Hope this info helps.
Best,
Walt
If the There are a c

BBBBill and 45Colt, you were right - the grip safety arm needs to be relieved a bit, I can see it binding on the back of the trigger bow after taking the grips off. As soon as I get a chance, I'll get that taken care of, and get a range report posted. Thanks!

Back