1911 mystery... ???? kinda long.

Lavan

As per advice on here, I replaced my series 70 Colt Gold Cup collet type bushing with a gunsmith fitted Wilson bushing. ( I was concerned with bushing breakage rumors)

Took it to range Sat and it shoots fine but the groups at 15 yds were 2-3" Fired about 100 rounds. Then switched back to the stock collet bushing and the groups came back to the old standard of one ragged hole.

But......the slide would no longer retract by hand. I could cock the hammer and the slide would retract, but NOT with hammer down.

Took it apart and looked at everything. With the midrange recoil spring that I use for wadcutters, it worked fine. Also worked fine with the Wilson bushing. However I want to go back to being able to show off with the gun and get eentsy groups or shoot bottle caps and weed stems.

I finally got the slide locked back (could not retract by hand except with lots of manipulation. I then fired 100 rounds of Blazer hardball and it seems to be working the whatever out of it and now it is just hard to retract.

My theories include:
The new bush allowed the locking lugs to move and gall or something and firing it is "refitting" the barrel.

Something internal is not moving correctly with the hammer resting.

The link may be too straight if the lugs have worked into a new position.

Any ideas?

Also those of you who have known of broken collet type bushings, was there any contributing factor? (dirt, hot loads, too many rounds, ????)

I would rather have a solid bushing but I love the excellent accuracy that this gun has always had since new.

could be galling the sliderails ,sounds like
your bushing isn't letting the barrel drop out of battery enough, a different barrel link might fix it,

Lavan, it sounds to me like the bushing isn't fit correctly. Take it back to the gunsmith who did it. A properly fit bushing will match if in enhance the accuracy you were getting with the collet type. The new bushing or rather its installation is the root of your problem. George

Back