1911 Mags: Maximizing rounds...

akula

Inactive
Let's ignore the Klintonite Ban for a while. Just for technical discussion sake:

How many rounds can you cram into single stack 1911 magazines --(short/officers', standard or extended) for 9MM, .38-Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45ACP.

I personally think you can cram more than 10 .38-super rds on an extended magazine. Maybe more by changing follower or base pad?

What do you think?

I have never felt that having a high capacity "pistol" magazine was a real big issue. The quality/reliability of the firearm one wields IS. My Wilson Combat 1911 only holds 7+1 of .45ACP, with a spare mag thats's 15 rounds in a carry scenerio. Anyway you cut it, realistically, that is a LOT of rounds. I could get a 8+1 mags but again it is not a real big issue to me.

-Clinton and his mindless crownies "stupid" laws don't put a damper on a 1911 MANs day.

Technically speaking however, I think if one should alter a mag it would decrease the reliablity of it. Mags "should" be made to hold there intended capacity from the get go.

In hindsight high-capacity weapons like the TEC-9 hold 30+ rounds and are perhaps one of the worst weapons ever manufactured. They are anything but reliable or accurate. There only purpose "MAY" be for some no brain idiot to do "DRIVE-BYE's" in "DA HOOD."
For any type of shooting, self-defense or other wise, I would prefer a high quality standard capacity pistol over a high capacity piece of "JUNK" TEC-9.

Some high capacity weapons that do make a lot of sense...

...Carbines i.e. Colt (and clones) ARs or Ruger Mini 14s etc;

If you modify the follower and base, sure you could alter the capacity of a magazine. But James is right in saying that reliability becomes an issue.. The spring also makes a difference in both reliability and capacity (the more coils, the more space the spring takes up). It is best to stay with what the magazine was designed for...

I have seen 36 rounders for .45 1911 at gunshows, but whats the point unless youre going into a firefight. I would rather carry 3- 10 rounders, and a 8 rounder in the gun, it is much easier to conceal.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

I bought Chip McCormick "shooting star" 8 round magazines for my custom colt and still have standard 7 shot mags for my commander..

My colts were VERY finicky about which magazines they function with but the Chip McCormicks are the best.

I've never tried the "extended" mags... if i wanted one of those I'd buy a para-ordinance gun (like that cool new LDA)

Dr.Rob

IMX those "extended" magazines don't work very well. A .45 ACP cartridge is really pretty heavy and if the magazine spring is strong enough to lift 30 of them you'd probably need some sort of tool to load the magazine.

The last pistol I bought (Gold Cup) came from the factory with an 8 round magazine. I have used Wilson 8 round mags for years in my racegun without any discernable problems, so when I stripped the GC to the frame and slide and built a carry piece for myself, I switched to all 8 rounders.
I have long since learned that it pays to rotate magazines frequently if they are kept loaded. Also, they need to be cleaned and re-lubed frequently.
As for the "Vets" downing the 1911, my carry weapon was a 1911A1. The Army never saw fit to qualify me with my carry piece. If I hadn't fired one extensively in civilian life and the Reserve, I would not be writing this. I have worked on thousands of them, and I am painfully aware that the shooter is the weak link in the chain. As a handgun Instructor, I have tried to remedy the problem of unfamiliarity. I trained my 10 year old niece to fire a .45 well enough to qualify and subsequently, every member of my family and hundreds of Security, Police and Private Officers. Anybody can master the 1911, but a one day familiarization on the 15 and 25 yard range won't instill confidence in a G.I. He will fall back on his rifle every time he can. But, don't compare him with Civilians in this respect. We can't get away with packing a rifle day in and day out.
I found it enlightening that when the local troops were moved to areas of serious combat, many of them abandoned their Berettas and re-equipped with 1911's.

I use Wilson Combat 8 round magazines with my 1911s for one reason. Under conditions where I can see the target and my sights clearly I usually fire double taps. I do not like to fire a 1911 automatic empty and have to reload with the slide locked back. With an 8 round magazine and a ninth round in the chamber I can fire four double taps and have a round remaining in the chamber ready to fire in an emergency while I reload.

A friend of mine is partial to 10 round magazines. On his recommendation I have obtained two 10 round McCormick magazines but i have not had them long enough to determine if they are as reliable as Wilson Combat 8 round magazines.

The LAST thing you want to do on God's good earth is to get into "double taps." There is NO limit and to shoot only twice and stop is asking for an early burial and we can all go to your house and divide up your stuff.
Try "capacity" tap. Shoot until the problem is resolved. To do less is to shorten your time on earth.
As for mag capacity in 1911's I have a ton of GI mags and a few 8 rounders. The only problem I have had is the cheap $5 mags I got in a horse trade. With several 1911's I find those marked "Colt 45" on the bottom to be junk. I always use brand name mags such as Maggar, Chip McCormick, Colt etc. Even some Argentine military mags I have shoot fine.
In the .38 super and even 9mm 1911 style guns capacity seldom is a realistic issue.

Back