1911 mags for Kimber Custom

Edster

Inactive
The last gun show of the year (in San Diego) is next weekend and I wanted to pick up a couple of extra magazines. Any suggestions for good, reliable aftermarket 1911 mags for my Kimber Custom? Or should I stick with the Kimber brand for reliable feeding??

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

For some reason, my Kimber Stainless Custom did not like the Wilson Mags. I'm about the only one I know who has had a problem with them. At least once per full mag, I would either get a shell that would not fully eject or the slide would lock back with a partially full magazine. I could not duplicate the failures with a Mec-Gar or Shooting Star magazines. I sent back the Wilsons and got a few Mec-Gars (which is what my Kimber came with). I have put about 500 rounds through the Kimber with various loads and have had zero failures.

In my Kimber Classic Customs, I have 2 Shooting stars, 2 new Wilson 47Ds , and 2 Whosits, they all have worked fine for over 5000 rounds.

I have a Kimber Custom/Classic stainless full-size 1911A1 with 1000+ rounds of 230 grain .45 ACP FMJ and Hydra-Shock through it.

In addition to the Kimber-supplied 7 round mag, I have purchased two Wilson 10 round mags and a Shooting Star 10 round mag. All have functioned reliably, however, I recommend Wilson strongly because it: (a) has never had a jam or failure to feed and (b) helped correct a "break in period" 1 to 2 percent jam rate experienced with the factory and Shooting Star mags.

The only downside with the Wilson is the approximately 2.5 inch additional grip length, which makes concealed carry more difficult.

Hope this helps.

I recommend Mag-Pack Magazines, and I use them in my work guns exclusively. They come in a nitride finish which adds lubricity and corrosion resistance, the follower is a self lubricating polymer specially shaped so that you don't get nose diving on those last few rounds.

Check them out and ask the other TFLers that have gotten them from us.

You can see pics and info at:
http://www.streetpro.com/magpack.html

Let us know what you think!

Tim

If you can get some try Metalform. They make a 7-round mag that uses a rounded steel follower that's the most reliable mag I've seen for Gov't Models. They are also who makes Ed Brown's mags......

Back