1911 mag sticking

gmarr

The magazines in my 1911, Wilson, sometimes stick when I hit the mag release button. Sometimes they fall free and others they stay about half way in.

Suggestions are welcome..

Wilson gun, Wilson magazines?
I have heard of binding by grip screws, action parts, splayed magazine lips, and an extended magazine catch without stop to prevent it from being depressed so far as to grab.

Have you tried removing the magazine catch then inserting a mag to see if it drops without hesitation?

As Jim alluded to above, sometimes the magazine catch will pinch the magazine when you depress the catch. When this happens slightly easing up on the pressure being exerted by your thumb will allow the magazine to drop free.

The fix for this condition is to carefully and minimally file, grind, or sand the yellow shaded area seen in the image below. The objective is to extend the curved area ever so slightly to the left (relative to the orientation of the image).

FmYHO4a.gif

Right, I have a couple of extended catches that were advertised to have a stop to prevent depressing them far enough to bind from the button side. They didn't so FLG ground them out neatly. The yellow relief is just barely out of sight.

Does you 1911 have issues with Colt or USGI magazines? We had a local cop who had a “brand” name magazine that had feeding issues. When Colt/USGI mags were used, no feeding issues.

I've had to file down grip screw bushings inside the mag well.
I've also had followers tilt forward and drag on the frame if the slide is close on the empty magazine.

Back