1911 mag release question???

Cyric13

The other day for the first time I broke my 1911 down into all the parts. But I couldn't seem to get the mag release out so I couldn't pull the trigger out. I have instructions on how break the gun down, just wanted to make sure I got it right before I break something. Which way doyou turn the screw? Do you hold the mag release down then turn? Tell me how please because the book and the 1911org page don't explain it enough.

thanks Cyric

[This message has been edited by Cyric13 (edited October 09, 2000).]

It's not really a screw. You just need to turn it part way and it unlocks. I don't recall how far, about 90 degrees or so. You should feel it as you push in and turn. Once again, it's not threaded. HTH Tom

Depress the mag release to about flush with the left side, turn the pin 1/4 turn counter clockwise. Don't force it, you may have to "play" with the depth you depress the release.

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Cyric13, You are not the first to think the pin was/is a screw. There are a lot of 1911's out there with the screwdriver slot in the pin's head all buggered up.

Glad to have been of help.

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Quick note: The "slot" type magazine catch retainer was not the first type on the Model 1911. If you find an early 1911 with a "dimple" type retainer, DO NOT try to remove it or the magazine catch. You will almost always bugger up the frame.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim V:
Cyric13, You are not the first to think the pin was/is a screw. There are a lot of 1911's out there with the screwdriver slot in the pin's head all buggered up.
[/quote]

Yup. Done it myself once when I hadn't read my 1911 book in a while and tried to force it. The good thing is the mag release is cheap to replace.

M1911

Back