1911 hot weather/biker carry rig?

Monkeyleg

I just sent off my application for a Florida non-resident CCW permit. For the past 11 years I've taken a two week or longer motorcycle trip through the western states in July. In most areas of Utah and other desert states a leather vest is about all I can tolerate when the temps are near 100 degrees. Any suggestions for a good holster for a Commander-size 1911? Or should I just continue open carry and tick off the tourists?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dick

Monkeyleg: When riding a mountain bike, I've used a Bianchi fanny pack with a velcro closed, concealed pistol compartment. Rather than gird myself, I strap it to the handle bars. For a motorcycle, you could probably find a better place.

I am in a wheelchair and I have a mounted holster on my frame. It uses regular holsters. I got it out of Cabelas catalog. If you have a 2000 fall catalog, it is on page 338 at the top right. It is mounted on an atv. It works like a charm. I hope this is what you are looking for. If you don't have a catalog, it is item #SA-52-0281 and costs $39.99 and it is called a "hand-gun carrier".

Well, living in Utah and riding a bike I can understand about the heat. My leather vest has laced sides for ventilation, but it is also lined, with inside pockets. I can carry my Ruger P89 in there with little discomfort, and it is invisible to the people around me. As for carrying openly and pissing of the tourists, there not the ones you have to worry about. Not all states are open carry, and if memory serves me correctly, in Utah you can't carry an autoloader with one in the chamber.

Thanks for the replies. Any sort of bike-mount woulnd't work, since I get on and off frequently to go photograph the scenery. I'm thinking shoulder holster, although a horizontal holster seems to protrude too much.

poperszky, I've carried openly often in Utah and Arizona, and the cops never bothered me. That was with a revolver, though, hammer down on an empty cylinder. I'll have to check with the authorities about carrying C&L with a semi.

The search continues.

Dick

Dick, I believe the law requires two actions to fire the gun (for it to be considered loaded), for a revolver it would require and empty cylinder (hence two pulls of the trigger), on an auto loader it an empty chamber ( racking the slide and pulling the trigger). At least that is the common wisdom in this state.

Personally, I don't carry openly (specialy when I am on the bike), because if I am stopped by a LEO, I would rather have the chance to hand him my CCW permit, rather than have him reacting to the gun on my hip.

Terry

Depends on your outerwear...

When I'm wearing my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket (3/4 length textile), my weapon is secured in an IWB holster.

Now, in warmer weather and in the absence of a heavy outer garment, the piece is placed in my tankbag's lower compartment.

That being said, you're not one of these squids who rides in t-shirts and hi-tops, are you?? ;) Try the Vanson Breeze jacket - ventilation is second to none for those hot rides, and you still have a modicum of protection that is offered by wearing leather.

Tall Man

Get your motor running.
Head out on the highway.

Dude, you said the magic word...

Photograph.

Get a camera/junk bag that you can strap on top of your gas tank. Keep your stuff in there. It's only a motion or so away, and you can take it with you when you go somewhere, and nobody will question it...

A tank bag is out of the question, I'm afraid. My scoot's a Harley Springer, and there's really no way I can think of to not scratch the paint or chrome.

I looked at the chest type holster that Cmc mentioned, and that's a possibility. But when it gets hot in those states, it's _hot_. You need all the ventilation you can get.

Tallman, I have considered a longer jacket or vest. The problem with an IWB holster on trips is the same that I have when driving: discomfort. I use a T-bag on the passenger seat. It's like having a full backrest. But the butt of the pistol presses against it, same as in a car. I was looking at a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig. That could work if I got a looser-fitting vest, and had driver's license and all the related stuff in a right-side pocket to balance things out. I don't want to print at all.

As for being a "squib," no way. Boots, heavy denim, gloves, helmet and the leather jacket only comes off if the temps are much above 85. It's a lot more comfortable on a long haul to be wrapped up a bit. 34 years riding, only one accident in 1966. (fingers crossed).

Dick

Well, I think the problem is solved. Bought a size 46 vest, one or two sizes larger than my regular size, and had all of the excess leather taken in by a tailor. Also had the belt loops that sit behind the holster moved forward 1/2" to keep the butt from swinging back. The vest itself is actually longer than my jacket, which looks a bit sloppy, but is probably stylish these days.The only downside is that, with the additional room around the beltline, my middle section now looks even bigger than before. The days of a young lady even giving me a split-second glance are officially over, my friends. AARP, here I come.

Dick

Love them Harley Springers! Ya know, if the op-erator was wearing one of Coronado Leather's black leather vests, the ones with nuilt in gun pockets, no one would think it looked out of place.

Monkeyleg:

I bought my vest large enough to wear over my jacket. I carry a Colt Mustang Pocketlite in one of the inside pockets, in a simple Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

I know a vest over the jacket may sound a little strange - it did to me, until I took a road trip with 6 friends a few years ago into Milwaukee for Harley's 95th Anniversary bash. I found that, especially with gloves on, a vest inside my jacket made toll booth & gas stops a real hassle. I was constantly having to remove my gloves, unzip my jacket, fish for the ticket and/or money, etc. At stops, I held everyone else up. The others were wearing vests outside their jackets, with those chain link expanders across the front to hold them from flying in the breeze. I now carry a few $$ in bills & change in one of the outside pockets, with my driver's license & CCW permit in a small leather & clear plastic "license" holder inside the other outside pocket.

The vest is definetly big if worn over a t-shirt, and the arm holes which are usually big in a motorcycle vest to allow for reach will expose a shoulder holster.

I have been looking into carry holsters for my Ultra CDP that would be comfortable while riding. I am wondering about a cross-draw that sits almost horizontal on the belt - have you seen these? A typical vest of jacket would seem to hide it, & the holster wouldn't dig into the seat. I've never really been a fan of cross-draw belt carry, but it might work here.

http://www.gungear.com

Check out their fannypacks... They have the BEST (IMHO) and most NON-GUN looking ones on the market.

I've tried several, and I learned that I don't trust the velcro ones, and the Eagle and Blackhawk ones look too much like a tactical pack.

Kevinch, my jacket's got some years on it, but I can't afford $400 for a new, good-quality one (this one was four bills 12 years ago). The jacket's too short, though.

I think this vest arrangement's working fine. It's cut straight across the bottom, instead of riding high up on the hip like most, so it covers my belt completely, even when bending over. And there's enough room in there that the butt doesn't print even when I'm bending over.

During cycle season I wear a vest constantly, along with black denims and cowboy boots, so the "ensemble" doesn't look forced. And everybody's used to me looking like that.

$40 for the vest, $35 for tailoring. Problem solved (except for me having to replace the transmission shaft seal this weekend :( ).

Dick

Back