1911 Gunsmiths...Looking for the Best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just acquired an unfired early 1980s Colt Series 80 Gov't Model, full sized, blued carbon steel, and wood grip panels.

I'd like to have it customized as a carry gun for the street, but I'm looking for the best gunsmith for the job.

Recently at an LFI-I class I was taking with Massad Ayoob, I asked him about the 1911 he carries. His was done by Mark Morris and he feels that Mark does the best work of anyone he has seen. That's a rather hefty statement coming from Ayoob. Morris has a three year backlog though. So I'm shopping for top drawer gunsmiths who specialize in the 1911 for combat.

I'm particularly interested in those that have had Wayne Novak or Clark Custom Guns do their 1911s as I've heard awesome things about these shops.

Please do not tell me to buy a different brand of gun or other such things. This is the 1911 I've always wanted and now I'd like to turn it into the best it can be.

Thanks for the input.

------------------
- Anthony (the crazy Italian with a .41 Magnum)

"Civilized people are taught by logic, barbarians by necessity, communities by tradition, and the lesson is inculcated even in wild beasts by nature itself. They learn that they have to defend their own bodies and persons and lives from violence of any and every kind by all the means within their power."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Anthony,
Just my opinion, considering Colt will no longer sell handguns to civilians, I think you should lock the Govt. model away in a safe, keep it new. I've shot several Wilson Combat .45 ACP and I think they build great carry guns. A lot of professional trainers carry Wilson's guns, Ken Hackathorn carries a CQB and Clint Smith carried an early version of the Wilson Thunder Ranch. The CQB sell for around $1600. Les Baer now make the new Thunder Ranch model and sell them for $1600 also. The Kimber Super Match sell for around $1200. All of these guns have excellent sights (either Wilson's own or Novak or Kimber adjustable), beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, match barrel and bushing, checkered front strap, durable finish (similar to Black-T). The new Gunsite Service Pistol Y2K built on a Springfield "Loaded" model sell for $895, it does not have checkered front strap though. All of these guns are readily available, you don't have to wait months or years for them.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Milton Morrison, Qualitie Pistol & Revolver, Denver, CO.

(Milt's shop creates the "birds head" grip frames for ruger vaqueros in Dillon's Blue Book catalog and is THE top pistolsmith in this neck of the woods.)

Milt took my in the white Seecamp/1991A1 Kit and made it into a fully functional shooting iron in record time and at (for a custom gun) a very reasonable price. I HIGHLYrecommend Milton Morrison and his staff at Qualitie Pistol and Revolver.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

Anthony:

If you're looking for a one man shop approach, then the following are among the best: Ed Brown, Kim Stroud and Richard Heinie. Be advised, there will be a wait for the gun.

Bill Wilson still turns out custom guns as well. His Combat Classic Super Grade runs approx $3.5K and you'll have to wait, but not as long as for a Brown, Stroud or Heinie. IIRC, a Heinie pistol will take 2-3 yrs...not sure about Brown or Stroud. All of them are members of the American Pistolsmith's Guild and their work is in demand. They don't turn out many each year, but what they do produce is a masterpiece.

Mike

One more to check out, Brian Bilby. Here's his link; http://www.45acp.com/acphome.shtml.

Heard a lot of good things about his work. Have conversed with him on some things also. If I can get my funds together, I plan to have some work done on my Kimbers. Brian will be the man to do the work.

I had two 1911's done by Mike LaRocca.
He does excellent work. He has a wait too but it is not 3 years (more like 6 Mo.)

Karl

Cylinder and Slide, Bill Laughridge, 245 E. 4th St., Fremont, NE 68025, 402-721-4277.

King's Gun Works, 1837 W. Glenoaks Blvd., Glendale, CA 91201, 818-956-6010.

Both companies do fine 1911 work. King's is one of the few that still install S&W K frame rear sights on 1911's.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

You may want to check out Terry Tussy. He does the 1911's for Steven Segal. A buddy of mine had some work done by him and I must say the work he did was flawless. Tussy has a web site but I don't know what is. Does anybody know the URL to Tussy? Hope you find a good smith soon. :)

------------------
Gun control started the Revolutionary War!..."itcta alea est"

Anthony,

The one YOU mentioned, Wayne Novak, would be a good one to check into. I don't have his number available right now, but he is located in Parkersburg, WV. He's been around for a long time and is known world-wide for basic reliable carry weapons. His staff doesn't do the race packages, but specialize in combat carry work. Just my .02. It would be nice if that was all it is going to cost. ;)

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Sorry to be chiming in late, but I I have a lot of experience with Clark Custom Guns. They do awesome work. (note the period.)

I currently own three guns that they have worked on/built, the best of which is a Caspian Meltdown 1911 in .40 S&W. I have had quite a few custom 1911s, but the Meltdown is the best one, by far. It is specifically designed for carry, but the trigger is exquisite. Rich L. has checked it out, and I think he was impressed as well, he also has a few customs in his closet.

The best hting about Clark, to me, is thathtey are great people. They are a famliy operation. They carry for self defense and they are avid competitors. Jerry Miculek is the fastest man on the planet with a revolver, Kay Clark-Miculek has won the Female IPSC championships more than her fair share of times, Jim Clark Jr. is a multiple Three Gun champ, and Jim Clark sr. has won many awards for his gunsmithing abilities. Young Jim, Kay and Jerry have also placed very highly many years in a row at the STC Nationals.

I really like the people and they do fine work, I would encourage you to give them a try.. if you are really dissapointed, let me know, maybe I'll buy the gun off ya. ;)

------------------
-Essayons

There are a lot of good 1911 tinkerers out there. I've had excellent experiences with both the Gunsite Custom Shop and Novaks.

That said, I've gotta back up Ricky T's suggestion. By all means, buy that old Colt Gevernment Model, the silliness of the current Colt management shouldn't keep you from owning a fine gun, but unless there turns out to be a problem with it, I'd leave it stock. Stick it back, so you'll be able to show your grandkids someday what a stock Colt GM 1911 looked like (assuming we are still permitted to own guns in the foreseeable future) There are a lot of new 1911s on the market that already have all the bells and whistles you'd ever want, at less cost than customizing your stock pistol.

Check out Don Williams of The Action Works, http://www.theactionworks.com/ I had him give our Colt 1911 Gov't model series 80 a make over that even Opra would be proud of. He does first class work at a reasonable price with a very good turn around time.

I've never had a jam or malfunction of any type and even tried chambering a empty case. The case chambered without any problems at all. The 1911 is my daily carry weapon. Here is a picture of our 1911 after the makeover http://www.theactionworks.com/images/Gallery/4.jpg

http://rockriverarms.com Great two brother shop

http://www.garthwaite.com/ Jim Garthwaite

http://www.45acp.com/acpmenu.html Brian Bilby

All good choices, in addition to others recommended here. Rock River and Caspian make THE best frames, per Brian Bilby. FYI.

check out the threads in the 1911 section of Gunspot.com http://www.gunspot.com

Brian Bilby and Richard Heinie are regulars (Heinine is the moderator for the Pistolsmithing area.)

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited October 14, 1999).]

As the owner of the WILSON COMBAT "stealth" custom 1911 I would have to suggest his custom shop for the deed. The other gunsmiths mentioned probably do equally excellent work on 1911's...
Wilson's service and products are definately hard to top however...
My 1911 by WILSONs is capable of amazing accuracy and reliable as any, it feels absolutlely perfect in hand, and it is cosmetically flawless, it was very $$$ however!!! It is my only really $$$ weapon I own!!! The only other semi auto handguns I own are the sporty Ruger MK II and a couple ultra reliable and relatively (approx. $500) reasonably priced SIG SAUERs.
Though I really like my other semi auto handguns nothing can replace my WILSON custom 1911!!! The slackless SA trigger, narrow gripped frame and .45 auto caliber make this weapon top dog!!! After all the 1911 has been a proven man stopper for almost 100 yrs. and is still considered the semi-auto handgun by which all others are measured.
NUFF SAID.

Have used Terry tussey in santa ana kalifornia on two different guns and had no complaints, I once asked if he could fix a less than flush beavertail job previously done by different smith and said "just wanted it to be close" and they said it wont be close, but will be perfect. Had low mount novak rear slide a little and sent it back was fixed free of charge and threaded allen screw installed does'nt move now. Have talked to tussey for over 1 hour before, about work, pretty hard to do with most smiths wait appox 3 months. Been very happy will returen with 3rd 1911 series 70.

Tussey invented clearing technique used by gunsite to clear stove-pipe, having shot over 1 million 45 acp rounds in his life, he has experience.

------------------
The beauty of the second Amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it. T JEFFERSON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back