1911 Grip Saftey

Texaken

I need to replace a grip safety on a Colt series 80 that has had the firing pin safety plunger and spring removed, and a spacer installed in their place. Do I need to use a grip safety for a series 80 or can I use one from a series 70.

I went to the source of all parts information, Brownell's on line catalog, and it shows both Series 70/and Series 80 grip safeties. Some of the makers state that their safeties are for the Series 70 but can be modified for the Series 80. However none seem to state that a non-Series 80 GS will work on a Series 80 after the firing pin safety plunger, spring etc was removed.

I would not know what modifications would be rfequired to a non-Series 80 GS to make it work with a S-80 pistol, either.

The question therefore seems to be, "What is the difference between the two style grip safeties?"

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

JimV,
Now you understand why I asked the question, I did the same thing and still dont have a clue. It seems to me that the 80 grip safety will work with or with out the f/p safety parts as long as the spacer is in place

Since this gun I just acquired is an 80 series, I would like to use the 80 grip safety until I get the rest of the parts to re-activate the f/p safety feature.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it,nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

The 80 series grip safety will work in 70 and 80 series guns, but the 70 series will not work in the 80 series gun with out being modified if you have all the firing pin safety system install in you gun. If you have all the safety sysetm remove and the spacer install the 70 series will work.

Char923 is correct, the 80 will work on either series 70 or 80 but not the other way around. I called Brownells this AM and got the info when I placed my order for the new grip safety.

The 80 series tab is thinner than the 70 series, to allow for movement around the firing pin safety parts. The 70 series can be modified to work but I elected not to change the one I already have.

Thanks for the help

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it,nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

Back