1911 grease or oil?

Joe Portale

Here's an interesting one. I was at the range the other night and over heard to old timers get into a heated debat. These old fellows were really getting worked up over this, it was almost funny.

Old Timer #1: "You need to use grease on your 1911!"

Old Timer #2: "Bull! Oil works just fine."

And on, and on, and on....

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

I've been shooting 1911 pattern pistols for about 25 years and have always used some sort of oil or another with no problems. The last 10 years or so I've used CLP Breakfree. Every couple of hundred rounds or so I lock the slide back and just squirt a little on the barrel and slide rails. After a range session and good cleaning I oil the barrel, slide rails, link pin, locking lugs and shoot a little around the hammer pin. Never tried grease though and don't know why it wouldn't work. Bottom line is keep your gun clean and it needs just enough lube, not too much. IMHO

Hello,

Actually Burrhead, I'm in your camp. I thought I would throw this out to see what came up.

Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory

When I was active in IPSC, I used just CLP on my 5" guns, but when I went to compensated guns with the cone instead of a barrel bushing, I started using a combination of CLP with a little moly grease on the barrel cone and bottom barrel lugs. These pistols got cleaned after every practice session, so I wasn't concerned with the grease attracting dirt or grit. I like the new NECO MolySlide grease; wish I'd had something like it several years ago.

When I target shoot I just use oil, for Concealed Carry I use grease, since it doesn't run everywhere.

Chris

I use a light coat of grease on the slide rails, oil everywhere else. I don't really know if it's better, that's just my way.

Any good gun oil. Put a two drops on each frame rail, three or four into the frame ahead of the hammer. If you want, a drop or so on the recoil spring guide.

Jim

Back