1911...full length guide rod or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamster

Is there any real advantage to having a full length guide rod on a 1911? If there isn't, I'm thinking about replacing it with a standard plug, since it's a hassle to disassemble/reassemble. Plus I had the front spring sleeve shoot out and hit me in the head. Good thing I had my glasses on too.

Shamster,
I don't normally use full length rods, bit I have friend that love them. As with most things it is a trade off.
I have seen guide rods tighten a pistol's groups up, but it has made no differance on my pistols. There are several other benefits atributed to their use. I don't think they are worth the hassle, in most cases.
Try your pistol without a rod, and see if you can tell any differance. HOWEVER, hitting oneself in the head with the recoil spring plug, can (and will) happened with or without a guide rod, if you are not careful. Remember if you are looking down the barrel you need to point the pistol elsewhere.

Two-piece rods are the way to go for easy disassembly, but CAUTION, they are not recommended for carry guns, as they may lossen at an inopportune time. Know what I mean?

Thank you Ed Brown for giving us the choice. (My 1911 uses both full-length rods; two-piece for fun, one-piece for social work)

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Raymond, Back in agreement, I have not seen any difference in accuracy or relialibity using FLGR's. I have never had a recoil spring become kinked during recoil and I have fired well over 350,000 round out of a 1911. Not out out of various 1911's but "A" 1911. Never had problems.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

That "kinked recoil spring" that keeps coming up, is that an urban legend? I've never seen one.

I seriously think that the full length guide rod is available for sale, like a lot of products on the market, designed by the marketing department, not the engineering dept.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

I don't care for full length guide rods either. None of my 1911s has ever had one and I've never had any problems.
A couple years ago I read an interview with Les Baer. He was asked about them and replied that while he does make and sell them, he has never seen any advantage in them. Baer guns come with a standard rod with full length as an option.

I have a one piece rod in my Baer. Please tell me why it's more difficult to disassemble than with a 2 piece (Tips for Dummies). I have no problems, but then I haven't had a 2 piece.

If it doesn't hurt, and might help, why not use one?

Thanks

God gave the 1911 design to Browning - and Browning gave it to us... Being a God-fearing, humble man - I put my faith in God... and not in Guide Rods.

Sorry - the 1911 gets kinda sacred sometimes. :)

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Gee, I am glad that somebody asked this question, because I have been thinking about replacing the two-piece full-length guide rod in my Springfield "Loaded."

Annoyingly enough, the front end keeps loosening during shooting. Plus, it is a real pain during disassembly (I can only imagine how bad it is with the one-piece).

So, if the standard-length guide rod is not any worse than a full-length one, I ought to get one. I have some questions, though:

1. Where can I get a good one?

2. Is the "kinked spring" really just a legend?

3. Do I need to get a new recoil spring? Should I get a new one anyway (a heavier 18.5 lbs. one that everyone seems to be getting over the standard weight - 16 lbs., I think)?

If someone could answer these questions, I'd appreciate it.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

While I suspect that the full length rod does provide for even compression of the spring, a full length rod is secondary to me. I'd spend my money on an ambidextrious safety first (being southpaw, why not?).

BTW George Hill, you're preaching the gosphel and I love it. Amen, Brother!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I have no problem taking down my 1911 with one piece full length guide rod:
-remove slide stop
-compress guide plug, and turn bushing with wrench
-let plug pop out, remove it, and the spring
-remove slide from frame, take out guide rod, unlock bushing, and remove it and the barrel.
DONE. Takes about 1 minute.

Is there a better way, with a different guide rod?

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited October 06, 1999).]

This is an interesting topic. I'm having a custom 1911 built by Bill Laughridge's Cylinder & Slide shop. I provided the specs. for this weapon as a strictly self defense weapon. That is, no frills.

During two conversations with Bill himself he suggested using a one piece full length guide rod set up for captive take down. I asked Bill why. Bill stated that he believes this set up helps the 1911 run generally smoother putting less stress on the recoil spring.

During a separate conversation Bill stated that he initially didn't think these full length rods were necessary, that is, until he encountered a stock 1911 that somehow became "locked up" with the standard stubby rod and plug.

Bill stated that he retrofitted the gun with the full length rod and shortly thereafter that weapon was used by his customer, a law officer in Florida, to save life of his wife and himself. Apparently the customer called Bill and related the story stating that had the gun "locked up" as before, he and his wife would be dead. From there on, Bill figured full-length rods may be a worth while modification.

Personally, I'm still undecided, but I figure Bill knows what he is talking about. John Browning aside (a genius), my Sigs and Glocks have full length and they function fine. I'm still trying to figure out how that officer's 1911 seized up. Anybody have an idea?

[This message has been edited by DesertRat (edited October 07, 1999).]

For more information, you might try going to www.gunspot.com web site. I believe this very same discussion is going on in the Pistolsmithing Forum. At least one gunsmith is involved in the discussion, and there is quite a bit of specific information being posted.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

i use a 2-piece rod and have had good luck in conjunction with a 20# spring.it does loosen a bit at the range after many rounds spent, but a small allen wrench in the back pocket is a quick fix. as for the kinked recoil spring, yes they do exist hence the reason for my new spring and guide rod.

In my previous post I ask if it is okay to replace the short rod to full lenght to an originally made pistol who has short rod. I got good answers.

In this post it further explained the pros and cons.

I thought the gospel messages are not acceptable here but it is.

'am glad to hear that there are still gun lovers who has second thought of putting HIM number one to depend on. I am enlightened of the gospel phrases, instead of relying much on the rod, I rely more to Allah/God for my safety.

BUT do your best first, than God/Allah do the rest. Allah oh Akbar!!! God is the greatest. AMEN!!!!

My Wilson 2-piece also loosens when I shoot. When I put it together last I used blue locktite. Haven't been to the range since to see if this helps. Maybe I have a one piece now and just don't know it yet! Anyway, I was wondering what would happen if the rod backed completely out and left the gun. Would the short piece left act like the OEM rod? Or would the square shoulder hang up on or cut the spring as it was trying to stack?

Covert,
I feel the best way to take down a 1911 (as shown to me by my gunsmith)

Of course the gun is empty with no magazine,
Slide the slide back, remove the slide stop, As you let the slide forward keep your hand uner the slide to catch the spring & guide rod as they come out.

Remove plug as you would from the slide with no more spring pressure on it , htis also prevents the plug in the face (or across the room) syndrome.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back