1911 from parts

Banzai

OK, I've been bitten hard by the 1911 bug. I've got about every catalog to every parts place and factory site in the world in the last month!!!!!
How is it that I can order a frame or a slide with no serial numbers on it? I thought that all frames had to have a number on them. Do aftermarket frames come with serial numbers on them, and that would mean that you'dd have to have an FFL to get one?
Am I mistaken here, or is it really possible to assemble a 1911 from components without a serial number? Not that I'm looking to do just that, but it sure seems like there's a loophole here, and I don't understand!!!
:confused:
Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

[This message has been edited by Banzai (edited May 05, 2000).]

all frames or receivers have to have a serial
number, except some antique that never had one, you can assemble a gun from parts and
not be a FFL, but to buy 1911 frame you need
a FFL, have a FFL buy you the frame,it will
be put in his book as a handgun frame sale,
all the other parts you can buy without a FFL
but you won't get the dealer discount and
i've spent close to $900 so far on parts and
TOOLS, the tools are breaking me, buy 2 books
first for sure cause you'll need them,shop
manuals for 1911,volume 1 and 2 by Jerry
Kuhnhausen.take a look and decide if buying
a Springfield Armory loaded model might be
cheaper.

Buying a Springfield probably is cheaper, however after building one from the ground one should have a better understanding of how it works and what makes it tick. Which should lead to a better ability to diagnose future problems.

Gator

I have an SA, and I love it. Just wondering about all those cool parts!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

Hi, Banzai,

You definitely will need to either have an FFL dealer's license to buy a new frame or have a dealer order it for you, and it will have a serial number, which will be the serial number of the gun you build. You can't buy a new frame on a collector's license.

Having all the tools and books is fine, but you don't need much to put a 1911 type pistol together, even fitting after market parts. A few simple tools will do just fine.

Now, if you want a perfect, top drawer, custom pistol, you won't get one your first time around. You will make lots of mistakes and maybe even ruin some parts. You might end up selling your first effort. Where do you think a lot of "custom" pistols that are on sale come from?

Unless you want to make a business of it, you will spend a lot of money on special tools you will never use again.

If this is a one-shot deal, buy what you want; it will be less costly and far less frustrating.

Jim

Back