1911 from 1913 - Opinions needed

Classic12

Hi everyone

There is this 1913 built 1911 for sale locally here in Switzerland. Those very old 1911 don’t come up for sale often in my country, so I will take a look at it.

Photos are not great, but I will have a chance to see it in person next week I think.

Asking price is $2500 but it’s negotiable. The cheapest 1911 A1 go for $2000 here nowadays.

I am not sure if the finish is gone and it’s in the white or if it’s too much lightning and reflection from some indoor lightning.

Edit, seller tells me the finish is pretty much gone.

What do you guys think?

e6a23309cee0433d687a98c180de70fa.plist

260374ab41a3776f00bcf49014673f0d.plist

a8526c93e82d33167eaf461475ee21fe.plist

edbd2887f0c264cabbe9599a160b1e64.plist

49d464f691bab0cffb3ba99d70948421.plist

53d342d619c0ce3422fc79769366ce30.plist

b5aaa11bcac06b960455aeefd9bf8578.plist

85febafbfe4f1c92505a7977ae27bec1.plist

48c63980419385d671fb1b717c309b42.plist

f005f2357080ee7772ff73e9e7a82cb8.plist

Last edited:
Chances are the gun is a mix of parts. Just about every 1911 has gone through the armorers for maintenance and repair. The parts most likely are period correct BUT not original to the gun. The heat treating is what is called spot heat treating so you can definitely shoot the gun and I would suggest it not be something to shoot on a regular basis

Don P said:
The heat treating is what is called spot heat treating so you can definitely shoot the gun and I would suggest it not be something to shoot on a regular basis
M1911s from 1913 were not heat treated at all. The spot heat treating (of the forward part of the slide, and the area immediate surrounding the slide stop notch) didn't begin until the WW2 era.

The pistol in the photos appears to be correct, but it should not be shot. Not at all, never. Not even one shot.

Chances are the gun is a mix of parts. Just about every 1911 has gone through the armorers for maintenance and repair. The parts most likely are period correct BUT not original to the gun.

And why would that matter???

Unlike Lugers, Mausers and some other guns, the 1911 does not have parts numbered to the gun. There is no "all matching" 1911 because there is nothing to match. If the part is "period correct" there is no way to prove or disprove that it was original to the gun when it left the factory.

The pictured gun has all the "right" parts for the claimed era, even has a lanyard loop magazine.

After the adoption of the 1911A1, standard policy was to maintain 1911s with 1911A1 parts, when, and as needed. IF the 1911 never broke, was never damaged and passed serviceability function checks, it didn't go to the "armorers".

I made the statement about not all original parts that a gun because some people are under the impression buying a 1911 that is from that era that the gun is original and it buying an original gun

Don P said:
I made the statement about not all original parts that a gun because some people are under the impression buying a 1911 that is from that era that the gun is original and it buying an original gun
And 44 AMP's point is that there is no way to know.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP (Classic12) is in Switzerland? M1911s, whether "original" or only "correct," don't grow on trees in Switzerland. The pistol in the photos appears to be "correct." I have no idea if the asking price is reasonable for Switzerland. If it were in the U.S., I think it would be reasonable, perhaps even a bargain.

Why do I even bother posting. I'll bet the farm the gun has original parts on it but original to the gun itself as when it left the factory

Switzerland, I would be all over it. Cleveland, Ohio USA I would also be all over it. This is a 1914 I came into just recently. I inherited it actually. My sister picked it up and my kids will be bringing it up to me around the weekend of August 15th. This is the only image I have and yes, I need grips. :)

<EDIT> I removed the over sized image. I'll get it posted in a bit. My bad. </EDIT>

1914%201911.png

Needs grips and cleaned up.

When I do see them even the well worn ones go for between $2500 and $3000.

Ron

Last edited:
Don P said:
Why do I even bother posting. I'll bet the farm the gun has original parts on it but original to the gun itself as when it left the factory
Don, we understand your point. But, with an M1911, how do you tell the difference?

More to the point: once again, the gun and Classic12 are in Switzerland. How many 1913-vintage M1911s do you think there are in Switzerland for people to have been swapping parts to and from?

I have to wonder how the finish is so uniformly gone. Did someone take a wire brush to it?
I was thinking the same thing. Unless its just the lighting, it seems like its "gone" pretty much everywhere, even places you wouldnt think it would be.

How many 1913-vintage M1911s do you think there are in Switzerland for people to have been swapping parts to and from?

Probably not many.

But, more to the point, without a verifiable history, we can never know what that gun has been through. At what point did it leave US service? When did it make its way to Switzerland? Looks like it was polished, but except for one, the markings look crisp and not polished over.

Was the gun "lost" in France during WW I? WWII?? later making its way to Switzerland?? or something else??

I saw several 1911s serving in line unit is Europe in the 1970s.

My point about the parts is that, unlike guns which have parts numbered to them, the 1911 does not. One can be reasonably certain matching number guns are original (though there is possibility of a "forced match), which is why collectors place a premium on them.

There is no way to do that with a 1911, so there is no special premium for a gun with "original" parts, because you can't prove they are original parts, only period correct parts. For example, a 1911 with all period correct parts has a higher collector value than a 1911 with some 1911A1 parts. Otherwise value depends only on age, and condition, and relative rarity.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless its just the lighting, it seems like its "gone" pretty much everywhere, even places you wouldnt think it would be.

Yeah I’ll be the third here and echo this comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to wonder how the finish is so uniformly gone. Did someone take a wire brush to it?

My thoughts exactly. Unless it looks different in person, it appears that someone removed whatever finish was left on it.

As for the OP, I guess it depends on what you want it for? If you want a shooter, this isn't your gun. If you want a collector, I'm not sure it's your gun either, but as you mentioned, they are probably really rare in your neck of the woods.

If it were for sale in the US for $2,000 I'd probably pass as it doesn't fit either a collector or a shooter. Plus, if someone removed the finish with a wire brush or other, that detracts from it's value.

I accumulate, not collect, so I’d pass.

I want something I can shoot, at least once in a while, not a dust collector/safe queen. But, I do me, you do you.

It looks very original, but with no finish, the originality doesn't really matter.
It's worth more than a heavily polished refinish, but it has zero original finish, and that's what determines value.

Unless its the lighting, it looks to be more than just normal faded and worn.

It seems to be too consistent overall, and missing finish in places that dont normally see wear.

I've never heard of the spot hardening. So from what I see here, any 1911 isn't safe to shoot? Not until WWII and the 1911A1 advent?

I have a 1911 that was built from parts and it has an old Colt slide that you can see was hardened.

You can see where it was done due to the difference in how it parks...

enhance

Back