1911 forward ejection?

Battler

I sometimes get forward ejection of spent shells (about half of the mag) - makes it hard to keep brass at indoor range.

I.e. instead of going backward right, they go forward-right some of the time. Seems somewhat random.

The gun is utterly reliable, and this happens with all 3 extractors I have for the gun (stock, gunsmithed, and Wilson bulletproof).

Is this the slide coming back and knocking the shells forward? Would an extended ejector (gun has "semi" extended Kimber ejector currently) help with this?

thanks,
Battler

[This message has been edited by Battler (edited July 24, 2000).]

Any dents on the case?

------------------
Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

Battler, there are several forces that come into play in regard to the direction the ejected cases go. Weight of the recoil spring, extractor tension, angle of the ejector, grip, and ammo consistency. Once you get the empties all going in the same direction then you can adjust the ejector's angle to put them more where you want. I saw a demonstration once with a 1911 in a Ransom Rest that ejected every round into a 5 gallon bucket sitting aobut 6' to the right rear of the pistol. But it could not be repeated when fired in the hand of a shooter. The general direction was the same but the human factor was introduced. George

I once saw a Marine on the Pistol team lay his cover (hat) on the deck behind him and to the right, then turn and fire a few strings of rapid fire. He beat the hell out of the 10 ring and had more then a few cases in his cover. Testimony not only of his skill, but also of the skill of his armourer at tuning the extractor!

George - I'm not clear on what you mean by adjusting the angle of the ejector. Do you adjust the angle of the ejector front face or actually bend it slightly? I wouldn't be able to bend it very much or it would bind between the firing pin stop plate and the slide.

Good, that's kinda what I figured. Now, for the rest of the answer - which direction do I want to angle the face, up or down, to make the brass trajectory tend to go further back?

Thanks George. So when you say "adjust the angle" you generally mean remove any angle that might be beaten into the ejector by the cases and start from there, angling up slightly if necessary. I think I've got it.

Back