1911 Extractors--How to test?

ShooterDave

To test an extractor for tension, the way I understand is as follows:

1) Remove slide and insert dummy cartridge under extractor hook so that hook grips the case at its half-way point.

2) Check to make sure
a) Hook holds cartridge firmly against breach face. It should take 3-4 lbs of force to slide it out (source: Wilson's 1911 manual)
b) Extractor hook should not touch case's "inner rim" but only grip the case rim (Hope that was clear :) )

The problem I'm having is with 2a-I've tried now two extractors on my Kimber Custom Classic (stock and now a pricy Aftec) and both hold the case about 0.05" above the breach face. Once gripped, you can wiggle the case around and the non-extractor side will flop on the breach face. It will hold the case in place if I turn the slide upside down, but all my other autoloaders will grip the case so that it is pulled firmly against the breach face.

Is this loosness acceptable? I've been getting ejections which will come pretty much straight back at me so I'm thinking not. But then I'm really worried as to what the remedy might be.

I can only guess that Kimber ground the breach face too much, but then I'd expect the barrel to not fit properly.

Any ideas? Help??

ShooterDave, the round should angle nose down slightly. If you can slip the dummy under the extractor, with the nose angling down a little, and roll the slide end over end and side over side without the round falling out your extractor is good. The best way to check tension is with a Wiegan Tension Gage. It works in conjunction with your trigger pull gage to tell you the exact amount of extractor tension. These are available from Brownells. www.brownells.com George

George, so maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Perhaps I should ask, what are the signs of an improperly tuned/fitted extractor?

So far, the only problem I'm experiencing is the extreme rearward ejection.

The first thing that tells me my extractor needs attention is a kiss on the nose with an empty. Bill Wilson gives one of the best versions I've seen of "how-to" on adjusting extractors at http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm If you have the extractor right you may need to shape the nose of the ejector a little. George

Back