1911 Extractor Lumps - What are they For?

WhiteFox

Inactive
Why does the 1911 extractor have 2 lumps at its mid-point? At least one author suggests grinding them off, since they prevent the part from working like a spring along its entire length. Any comments on this? Thanks!
-WhiteFox

Those lumps are the pivots

that make it spring.

When you put the extractor into the channel, it should bind slightly. That's the tention being loaded to keep the claw inboard, around the rim.

If you want to try removing them, go ahead. Buy a replacement first, it'll save you some time.

By the way, the Wilson extractor is a good reliable aftermarket extractor. Others may be good too, but I've used Wilsons.

Exactly,Archie.Those are the supports for the extractor leaf.Most extractors are cast,so they don't do much springing.Many of the aftermarket units are made of spring steel,so they're usually more long-lived.

Extractor Lumps

Well, if you remove the lumps at the midpoint and tension the extractor correctly, will the firing pin stop provide the support necessary for the extractor to work as a spring?

Well, the sprung part of the extractor will be longer, which will mean the spring tension will be less. Since low extractor spring tension is a major cause of ejection problems, reducing it would cause trouble. If you are having problems, I don't think that "fix" will cure them. If not, I would leave things well enough alone unless, as suggested, you buy a replacement first.

Jim

Back