1911 extractor jamming, break-in period for new gun?

Sciri

Greetings,

I'm having feed problems on a new Springfield 1911-A1. The first day I fired it I pushed 80 rounds through it and got a fail to feed on the very last round (lead reload done in-house at the range). I came home, stripped, cleaned and reassembled.

When I went out to fire at an outdoor range with PMC FMJ rounds, I was getting fail to feed just about every third or fourth round. Ditto for CCI Blazer JHP rounds. I watched closely, and it seemed that the extractor wasn't gripping the shell. Instead, the extractor was slamming into the rim of the shell and stopping, jamming the slide about 1/8" open. I did 21 rounds of each, then gave up, disassembled and cleaned.

I asked the range officer at the law enforcement range I purchased the gun from about the jamming, and he said that a lot of guns will malfunction occasionally for the first 500 to 1000 rounds because the extractor is tight and various parts need to be broken-in. He also added that it took his Glock over 750 rounds before it stopped occasionally malfunctioning. If I still have a problem after 500 to 1000 rounds, he'll look at it and repair for free under warranty.

I pushed 125 PMC FMJ rounds through today and got about 15 fail to feed malfunctions. I checked with the range officer and he said to keep firing. I picked up 100 of the in-house reloads and fired a magazine; every third or fourth round got a fail to feed. I asked the range officer, he said to just rack the slide and continue.

Towards the end of the session, I was getting less frequent malfunctions. My question is, why would the first 80 rounds fire flawlessly, then get one fail to feed? Then, after reassembly, get numerous fail to feeds? The range officer checked out my reassembly and okayed it, and told me to just rechamber any rounds I got a fail to feed on.

When I got home, I loaded a magazine of Black Talons (nickel-plated shells) and racked the slide by hand to feed and eject each round. Every round fed flawlessly with no jams.

Is this really a break-in issue, or should I return the gun immediately to be serviced? My gut tells me to return it, but the guy at the range says it's perfectly normal for this to happen...

/Sciri/

Hi, Sciri

Malfunctions are not uncommon with reloads for various reasons.

But, the round coming out of the magazine should feed up under tne extractor, not be struck by it. This sounds like some kind of magazine problem.

I have been flamed on this, but to me the "break in" period is BS. Sure, most guns will work better after some shooting. A car will work better after a few thousand miles.

But no one would accept the idea that a new car should stall or stop dead every mile or so for the first 10,000 miles. No one would be put off by baloney about a break in period, and the car maker would go broke.

A 1911 type that won't work perfectly out of the box with GI ball ammo is no good, period. A lot of dealers give newbies the run around about the break-in period, telling them to keep shooting, then say that the warranty period has passed due to all the use the gun has had.

You might have a gunsmith work your gun over, since there is no assurance that a new one, at least from that maker, will be any better. Or simply insist on getting a refund or a repair.

Jim

Same problem with Colt officer and Kimber ultra elite. Changed to after market(Chip McC)mags and TEHP rounds. No problems with Kimber, a couple with the Colt.

Sciri,
I have fired over 150,000 rounds from 1911's, both custom and fairly stock back in my early IPSC days. (Early '80's)

When I say fairly stock, this means that the only modification was a throated chamber,polished ramp and Wolff high power springs added. Also, I only use Wilson Magazines. (I know, we all have our favorites...Wilson is mine!)

I have had no malfunctions using the Wilson magazines in my current Combat Commander and firing only 230 Grn. Hardball in over 3,000 rounds. This pistol only has a ramp and throat job and the Wolff springs.

This "Break In" line is definately BS!

I have had 8 1911's and any problems I ever had were due to poor gunsmithing i.e, too tight of slide to frame fit, wrong springs, recoil spring guides, too loose of extractor etc.. The fairly stock guns were usually more reliable with the minimum modifications listed above.

I believe you have a magazine issue as the rounds that malfunction are not coming up into the extractor, but are releasing too soon and the tight extractor (which isn't all bad) is then behind the case trying to jam it into the chamber.

Your testimony to "Hand Cycling" which is slower than actual battery cycling is the basis for my comment. As you Hand Cycle you are giving the released cartridege time to slip into the extractor where in live fire, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

High power Wolff springs can also eliminate this issue as they have more power going forward into battery and may get the gun closed through sheer force.

One other thought is to polish the front surface of the extractor so it will slip over the case head easier if it has too.

By the way, when I use the term polish...I mean mirror bright with a dremel tool buffing head and rouge. Ramp, throat, extractor etc.

Nothing is more unnerving than a pistol that won't run.

To quote Col. Cooper....

The loudest noise you will ever hear is a "Click" when you should hear a "Bang"!

Email me if you have any other questions. I love to help guys with 1911 problems.

ACK

Hi Sciri,

What a coincidence, I purchased a "loaded springfield" back in November and it seems I had the same exact problem. However, this problem only oocured when I was using the factory SA Mags (I picked up a non-factory mag made by Wilson when I picked up the gun).

When using the SA mags the first 100-200 rounds of FMJ went through w/o a glitch. Afterwards, at least one out of the seven jammed. I switched the Wilson....no problems since. FYI: If you can't find the Wilson mags, or any 1911 product in your area, try Brownells online shoping. In my opinion, they may not have the "best" prices, but the do fall in the middle. They do have excellent Customer Service and great return policy.

As far as the re-loads go, I would not use them. I have allways had some problems or another when using them. Especially with alluminum casings. I allways try to use the highest quality FMJ ammo I can afford (ads up fast as you know)with the 1911.

Otherwise, I am very happy with the Sprinfield 1911 "Loaded". My intent was to purchase a Colt Govt. Model. But much to my surprize (after loosing interest in guns for several years after discharge from the Navy)Colt had issued their Ban. Since I'm not in Law inforcement I could not get a new one. I did some research, and the economics of the deal pointed me towards the Springfield.

Hope this is of some help.

Back