1911 doesn't feed anything but ball ammo.........

Jamie Young

I know this is common and I've heard that a gunsmith can do something to the feed ramp to change that. Is there anything I have to worry about if this is done? Has anyone had any problems after having this done? I really want to carry Hyrda-Shoks for my 1991 but it jams.

------------------
"Bring 'Em on.... I prefer a Straight Fight to all this sneaking around"
Han Solo

The common solution is polishing the feed ramp and this usually works. Magazines also become a factor when using anything but GI ball, as not all mags will feed all the different cartridge types. You will likely get all sorts of advice both from those who have used the Hydra-Shoks and those who have not. To some extent it is trial and error.

Polishing a feed ramp is something you can do yourself with some emery cloth and a round dowel. Avoid power tools until you have some more experience. Some polishing can't hurt anything, so I would go ahead and do that much and see what happens. Just take off the roughness and machine marks.

Jim

About the magazines and proper feed: Spreading the lips out a bit, or bending them in a bit, will affect the angle at which the cartridge enters the chamber. We're talking thousandths of an inch, here, not huge amounts. "Smidgens".

It doesn't hurt to use a fine stone on the inner edge of the feed lips. Carefully! Maybe half a smidgen. :)

Dunno. I just learned by doing. If you do just a little bit at a time, you probably won't mess up. Don't get in a hurry, is all. Ya gotta think like an aircraft mechanic, not a line mechanic in an auto dealership.

However, if your mechanical abilities are those of a bear cub with boxing gloves on, go to a sure-nuff gunsmith.

:), Art

:D my very first 1911, a SA milsurp circa 1988 I believe, would not even feed ball ammo until visiting a gunsmith.

Hi, BK40,

Do you mean a Springfield Armory, Inc., or an original government Springfield Armory 1911? If the former, how can it be milsurp? If the latter, check the latest prices before shooting it.

Jim

Jim,

oops... Springfield Armory Inc. I blieve the dealer told me it was a mil-spec 1911A1- big difference!

Back