1911 Colt

B-1

Inactive
A friend is looking for information on a Colt .45 that he owns. The markings on the slide read:

Colts PT. F.A. MFG. CO.
Hartford CT. USA

Patented April 20, 1897
Sept 9, 1902 Dec 19, 1905 Feb 14, 1911

United States Property

The serial # is: 2xx

It has retained about 70% of it's blue.

The magazine with the gun has a lanyard ring attached.

He is wondering about the approximate value, whether or not he should shoot it, and any history. He is also wondering if the firearm has any antique value or value due to the low serial #.

Thanks in advance for the information.

The serial number should be on the right side of the frame ahead of the trigger guard and should read No.2xx.

The original magazine catch should be the kind with a "dimple" rather than the slot. (If it is the "dimple" type, don't try to remove it!)

That gun definitely has value based on the low number and because it is very early and in the first shipment of 500 from Colt.

My guess as to value would be at least $700, even in 70% condition. In perfect condition, it would be worth around $3000.

The lanyard loop magazines alone are bringing in the neighborhood of $100, even more if the edge of the base is exposed.

I suggest you go to www.gunandknife.com and post this info on the M1911/A1 forum; many of their posters are real experts.

Jim

And, by all means, tell him not to do anything hasty until he really knows what he has! It would be a shame to sell something like this, only to find out you got 20% of it's value!

YES.........do nothing in haste re this gun. Research well and second source as much of the information as possible.

Sam

Just for fun I looked your gun up in "The Government Models", William Goddard. He shows guns 101-300 inclusive shipped to Springfield Armory 2/3/1912.

Back