1911 Colt "live round" out of battery jam!

PolarFBear

Was firing some reloads today. Had a round fire, A-OK. Next round from magazine jammed gun out of battery by about a 1/16th of an inch. It has a full length guide rod. I'm no gun smith. I have no idea how to get it to chamber or get the slide to move rearward. I did try to "tap" it with a synthetic tipped hammer. It is just enough out of battery that the barrel bushing will not turn. The round in barrel is a lead semi-wadcutter over 4.5 grains of W-231. I do use a Dillon chamber checker on every round that I produce. There is enough gap to see that there is no problem with the firing pin or primer. Suggestions???

Wrap the hammer with a big ball of adhesive tape over a piece of metal (firing pin block) so that it cannot fire the gun if it drops. Take it to a gunsmith and tell him/her that there is a live round in the chamber.

Take a firm overhand grip on the slide. Point pistol in a safe direction. Smack the back of the grip with the palm of your other hand. Smack it hard; the gun won't fire, don't be afraid of it. That'll eject the stuck cartridge,

An alternative is to press the front of the recoil spring tunnel against a wooden or padded bench. Push hard. That will do the same thing.

It's not a big deal, happens to people everyday. BTW, remove the mag before you do either of these things.

burrhead: Colt "fixed"

The Colt is unjammed. I had never done it this way. Placed the front of the slide against my reloading bench, gave grip a healthy shove. Out pops the LSWC. All is right with the world! The firearm is my son's, a tight tolerance Colt. It was over lubed and way beyond dirty. Thanks for the encouragement to not be "chicken".

Before shooting it again try the plunk test with the rounds you are trying to shoot. That will tell you a WHOLE lot more that a chamber checker. Barrle out of the gun, drop the round into the chamber, if it goes plunk good to go,if it DOESN'T go plunk then perhaps the rounds are a touch too long. I'm willing to bet that the bullet is hitting the rifling or the round is cambering on the bullet instead of the case

Back