1911 Colt Commander Lightweight.Opinions?

45automan

Hi guys any info on these would be great.Are they series 70 or 80? Do they use an alloy frame hence the LWT designation? Do they take standard 7rd mags?
Thanks,45automan

My first 1911 was a Colt LWT Commander 70 Series. I still have it and carry it at times. The 70s don't have the firing pin block like the 80's series, and I have carried a Mec-Car 8rd. magazine with no problems. Good choice!

History lesson time:

The Commander was introduced when the military was looking for a replacement for the 1911A1 pistols in the late '50's (IIRC) and had aluminum frames. They were not adopted by the military but were added to the Colt product line in .45ACP, .38 Super and 9 m/m.

In the early '70's, Colt answered the demand of many shooters for a Commander with a steel frame hence the Combat Commander with the Commander remaining in the product line.

Since that time the Combat Commander has become the Commander and the Commander has become the LWT Commander. Perhaps we should insist that the original Commander remain the Commander and the Combat Commander beconme the HWT Commander.

Just a gripe of mine, sorry.

They can be found both as Series 70's or 80's (check slide).

I have a Series 80. Yes, alloy frame. Lighter to pack, but snappier recoil than the steel frame Commander. Much snappier than the Government Model.

Mine is not particularly accurate. Service grade accuracy, I'd say... Slide/frame fit is loose compared my Kimbers and Springfield Armory. I have a Kimber Compact steel frame that shoots much tighter groups, even with a shorter barrel and being steel framed is more comfortable and controllable to shoot.

I'd say if you have CCW requirements for something light weight, then the Lwt. Commander (perhaps with a bit of tuning) might be a viable option if weight is a major concern. But if you want to shoot it more than pack it, you might want to look at the steel frame choices.

I have 1911's starting with GM's, Commanders, and Officers.
I've now come full circle and prefer steel frame GM's for general purpose PDW use. I find them the most controllable, comfortable to shoot lots of rounds in, and accurate. On average, out-of-the-box, they seem to be a bit more reliable, too, than the compacts, imho... With a good holster rig, they are not that much harder to pack than a Commander size 1911. My $.02...

Back