1911 C&L Question?????

Cyric13

This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I'm looking into getting my 1st 1911 and was wondering one thing about cocked and locked. Do you keep this way all the time? If not how do you uncock it as some 1911 don't have a decocker? Take it easy on me guys.

thanks, Cyric13

I only have it cocked and locked when carrying. At home I have it chamber cleared with a loaded mag. Rack the slide to load. And I do never lower the hammer on a live round. I just release the mag and eject the live round. Hope this helps.

The m1911 is SA. I believe that the only way to carry this gun safe and ready is C & L. To answer your question re:how to decock the gun.
1. point gun to safe backstop
2. remove mag
3. thumb safety to unlock position
4. rack the slide to eject loaded round
5. slowly ease down the hammer to half cock (thumb of weak hand preventing hammer to strike firing pin while pulling the trigger)

To decock with the chamber loaded: 1, 3 and 5
With a round in the chamber, #5 my result in AD.
------------------
jj0287

[This message has been edited by jj0287 (edited December 17, 1999).]

Refer to TFL thread
"1911 IWB carry "Cocked & Locked""

Also conduct a search of TFL for this subject, it has been discussed at length in the past.

Having said that, C&L is the way to go.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Not worried about carrying C&L just didn't know how to uncock and unlock on a live round. I'm convinced that C&L is the way to go with the 1911. And I also do that search you mentioned I tried to search for decocking and un cocking C&L but no results so I'll try C&L

thanks Cyric13

OK, to lower the hammer of a 1911 on a loaded chamber. Holding the pistol in your right hand (assuming you are right handed), disengage the thumb safety, grasp the sides of the hammer with the forefinger and thumb of your left hand, it works best if there is no lube on the sides of the hammer or the hammer is the original 1911 wide spur type, squeeze the trigger causing the sear to disengage the full cock notch of the hammer. Carefully lower the hammer to the full forward position. Do not stop at the half cock/safety notch, go directly to full forward. I could tell you how to lower the hammer one handed but I WILL NOT in the interest of safety. ;)

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Back