1911 Barrel Link

mattfra

I recently installed a stainless Olympic Arms NM barrel/bushing in my Springfield 1911A1. I used the stock barrel link which I believe is a .278 length. Would it benefit me to use a link that is the next size up? This may be a dumb question too, but would a longer link force the barrel up into the locking lugs harder? The gun shoots fine and is quite accurate the way it is. I'm just looking for that extra bit of accuracy.

The bottom of the barrel feet has to rest on the slide stop cross pin when the pistol is in battery. Just changing the barrel link to a longer one will not assure that the same lock up occures. When the pistol is in battery, can you cause the barel (chamber area) to drop when applying pressure on it. A correctly fitted barrel (in all aspects) should not show any movement.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

mattfra,

To follow up on Jim V's excellent advice...the use of the longer link could add undue pressure to the link and slide stop pin causing premature failure of those parts. As Jim said, the barrel needs to rest with it's "feet" on the slide stop pin.

If the barrel was a "drop-in" and isn't as snug in battery as you might like, you might try an oversize (.200 dia) slide stop pin instead of the factory issue.

Mikey

In a 1911 type design, the link serves to pull the barrel out of engagement with the slide; it should not force it back into lockup. Lockup should not depend on the link; if it does, the barrel will be supported on the link, not a very solid arrangement.

Jim

Back