1911 Barrel / Drop in?

Harry J

Inactive
I am looking at having a barrel install on myRIA full size.I am building a target pistol for informal competition. I have talked to a few people on drop in or oversize barrels. I know oversize requires extensive fitting but from what I have been told it's very pricey. One person said a drop in Wilson Combat barrel cost $200 to fit. He had a Springfield I believe. Another who has a RIA like mine said he fit a Storm Lake drop in in about 30 minutes. Just how "drop in" are drop in barrels? Also what should I expect to payfor labor for a oversize full install?
Thanks for any advice.

The value of the "gunsmith fit" barrel is in the fitting.
People will often ask, "What's the best barrel?", when a better questions would be, "Who best to fit the barrel?"
I certainly would not spend $400 or more having a barrel fitted to a $400 gun.

"Semi drop-in", or sometimes called "Pre-fit", barrels can generally be installed with hand tools, though you still have to know from where excess material needs to be removed.
I bought a Storm Lake pre-fit, and literally had to remove material from just about every surface, after consulting a gunsmith about where to remove material!

A good compromise, if you're at all handy, is the Kart . . . I think they're now called X-Act Fit, used to be EZ-fit, which can be fitted to a very high standard using only hand tools supplied in an installation kit.
I've installed two EZ-fit barrels, and while the instructions suggest it can be done in an hour, I spent something closer to four or five hours on mine, measuring twice and cutting once.

Thank you for that info. I have not heard of Kart. I will look into that. I have a good assortment of metal working and finishing tools, micrometers and gauges. You are right about spending the money. This is for fun not a national championship.
Thanks again.

Thanks tangolima. Fusion looks interesting. And the labor chart is handy. I'm holding on to that. Thanks T. O'heir.

A full-tilt gunsmith fitted barrel needs about 2 hours to fit. It requires jigs and milling machine. I can see bill of $100 or more. A fusion arms barrel is mostly prefitted. One hour with hand tools will do.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

When fitting a barrel in a 1911 handgun I prefer doing what's termed "Hard fit". To hard fit a barrel you should fit the radial lugs, lower lug, all areas of the hood and the barrel bushing. I do 98% of that fitting on a mill and a lathe and it takes longer then 2 hours. Before I start the fitting process I take readings of the radial lugs in the slide, this is often times overlooked......For the novice a drop in barrel will work well but it will not compare in lockup to a hard fit barrel......Keep in mind barrel lock up is what gives you repeatability which in turn gives you the best mechanical accuracy.

$200 to fit a barrel is insane. Even though it's entirely a hand done thing. West Coast Armory in Bellevue WA, for example, wants $120 to fit a .45 barrel.

"My" smith, a short drive from West Coast, charges $225. Everyone I know uses his services, so his prices can't be too insane?

Back