1911 Ambi Safety ?

Macoute

Inactive
Do the 1911 ambidextrous safeties with the extensions on the right side that fit under the grip panel (Les Baer, Cylinder & Slide, Les Brown, Swenson, etc. - style) require a special right side grip panel allow it to fit? Thanks.

Yes, the right panel must be relieved for the ambi safety, but most if not all grips are made with this feature.

Check King's Gunworks ambi saftey. It uses a special hammer pin and grooved saftey so that it doesn't relay on the grip panel to hold it in. It would be my choice.

I don't think the Colt ambidextrious safety requires the right grip panel to be relieved. What Colt (actually subcontracted out to Menscke) did was to mill a lip along the edge of the left thumb safety. A longer sear pin with a dovetail cut is used to engage that milled lip, thereby preventing the left thumb safety from walking out of the gun. For me, it's easily the best there is. Not fancy, but darn clever.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

"Lone Wolf" Gonzalaus, Texas Ranger, had such a set of ambisafetys fitted to his 1911's long before they were commonly on the market.

I hope I spelled EL Lobo Solo's last name correctly.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

I've been a 1911 fan for 25+ years, and a lefty even before that, so I've used many brands of ambi safeties. Tried the Colt system several years ago and the right thumb piece kept flying off. Thought it was junk. Went to Swenson's because he was state of the art at the time. I've used a few others since then and they've all done the job. I now use Brown's just because the ergonomics work best for me. Any of the major brands made now should work ok; boils down to what feels best to you. Releaving the right grip panel is not a big problem. If a qunsmith installs the safety for you the grip alterations should be part of the deal.

Back