1911 advice needed!!!!!

Enigma

Well it looks like I have been bitten by the 1911 bug. I think the only cure is to give up and buy one! After listening to what everyone has said about 1911's I think I have decided on Kimber. I was looking at a couple of Classics down at the range where I shoot and they have two Classics one in a black finish and one in stainless. the respective prices are $679.00 and $779.00. The slides are tight!!! My questions are 1. is it worth the extra hundred for stainless steel and two how does the accuracy compare to the more pricey models by Kimber? What are they capable of in good hands? How about the price?

Thank you for your input!!

Kimbers are great and worth the price.
I have a Classic Stainless and a Compact Stainless, both will outshoot me on every given day.

Kimber also has great customer service. I bought the Compact Stainless used and they sent me the user manual and two take down tools at no charge.

The price for the stainless is worth the extra money. I am a stainless fan, especially in the 1911. It makes it easy to maintain and great to clean up.

The price you quoted may be about 50 to high but then Kimber may have had a price increase since I bought mine.

Both of mine with do better that 2.5 inch at 25 yards. Better in a skilled shooter. I am just plinker and small game hunter.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas and happy shooting.
Judge Blackhawk

The accuracy is about the same unless you get up into the Super Match guns which have some handfitting of the barrels. The only downside of stainless is that you have to make sure it is lubed correctly in the right areas or you will get galling.

Brian

Kimber is a great choice. I did notice that my Gold Match was even more accurate than my Classic Custom even though I didn't believe that was possible. Whether stainless is better depends on the climate where you live. I am in Florida and it gets pretty humid here, so I go with stainless on any gun I might carry.

If the Classic Customs you mention are target models (with adjustable sight) you will probably find that you can buy them for $50-100 less with a little shopping.

I own two Classic Customs, one with over 4000 rounds...It's still as tight as new and a helluva lot better shot than I.

With all due respect to one of the leading smiths in the country (Brian Bilby) I have never personally had any part failure, nor have any of my Kimber shooting friends. I'm detecting a little wear in my barrel bushing that I may replace later.(4000+ rounds)

Have fun with your Kimber, it will bring a smile to your face that won't rub off!

If ya look hard enuff..... ;) http://www.gunsamerica.com
Custom Classic .45 ACP $545.00 Blue. N.I.B.
Seller: Chadick's Ltd. Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: $10 Per Item
Credit Cards: Visa Mastercard Novus
FFL Dealer

Phone: (972) 563-7577
Kimber Pistols in stock $569.00 Kimber Classic .45 Pistols .45 Custom .45 new in box, stocking all Kimber pistols call for best pricing, dealers welcome!!!
Seller: GUNSLINGERS, INC. Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: $5 Per Item
Credit Cards: Visa Mastercard Discover
Electronic Mail: gundle@epix.net

Additional Seller Information

10 A.M.-6.P.M. MON.-FRI. 10 A.M.-5P.M. SAT. WHOLESALE AND RETAIL SALES ON FIREARMS,OPTICS, AMMUNITION, AND ALL OTHER MERCHANDISE PERTAING TO THE FIREARM INDUSTRY.

Phone: (570) 823-0715
FAX: (570) 823-2733
Kimber Custom Stainless - New $649.00 Stainless .45 acp, 5" barrel, fixed sights Seller: Classic Pistol Indoor Range Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: Call For Terms
Credit Cards: Visa Mastercard AMEX Discover
FFL Dealer
Electronic Mail: clasicpstl@aol.com

Additional Seller Information

Classic Pistol is a indoor range that is heated / a/c with hepa-air filtration. handgun, rifle, shotgun and full auto machine guns can be shot, call for restrictions information.

Address: 1310 Industrial Blvd

Southampton, PA 18966
Phone: (215) 953-7264
FAX: (215) 953-7275

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I would stick with the carbon steel model rather than the stainless. Stainless does not rub together well. I paid $569 for the Target Classic in August of this year. The standard models are more than accurate enough for most shooting games with the exception of Bullseye matches. Installation of a Kart barrel will cure that.

I'm not an Expert (far from it) but "Galling" of Stainless Steel WAS a problem MANY years ago, because they used the SAME S/S on both the frame & the slide.
Then some bright spark figured out that by using DIFFERENT Grades NO MORE galling ! :)
I'd say that any QUALITY MODERN S/S gun would have a Zero chance of the "Galling" problem.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Galling? That only happens on older guns if you dont lube them.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

I just want to thank everyone who has reponded to my post. Thanks especially for the price info....it loooks like I will buy the pistol at another place if I cant get them to drop the price.

Back