1911-A1 Series 70 Slide stop. Colt brand mfg. 1980

Lavan

This is being a real booger. :(

{Edit: No copyrighted material and no hotlinks. Please read the rules}

the slide stop hangs up on the plunger pin.
That SOB must have a burr or something as I have to hold the pin in with
a small screwdriver to get the damn end of the slide stop to go in without
forcing.......HARD !!!

Tried a ....bit.... of stoning the end of the slide stop to see if it would MAYBE get the stop to clear the pin.

NOPE.

Brain has quit. :o

Sell gun or buy new slide stop :confused:

Yes, afraid so. :o

I could most likely screw up something REALLY badly getting at the ...PIN!

I have a hunch that this may become an EX-gun.

My Gold Cup is a work of art. Not so the Govt. model. :mad:

44 AMP said:
First step is to work on the PIN, not the slide stop.
In this case, I must disagree.The 1911 slide stop is designed with a bevel that is intended to make it possible to insert the slide stop and depress the plunger while doing so. With unmodified slide stops, my experience is that this works maybe 50% of the time, and it generally requires not just pushing the slide stop in, but starting with the slide stop lug below the plunger so you have to simultaneously press up and in. If you get the angle exactly right (and is seems to vary from pistol to pistol) you have a better change of inserting the slide stop without the use of supplemental tools.

The notch referred to by Dfariswheel is the solution most 1911 aficionados use to overcome this issue. The tiny round file in a set of jeweler's files is the ideal tool for making this notch.

I have only tried 2,789 ways to insert the thing.

I think my best option is to ...continue... depressing the pin with a screwdriver to make room for the slide stop to make it into the opening in the frame.

:(:mad::eek::)

One thing about working on guns is to realize getting tight jawed ,stressed and PO'd is counter productive.
Have a cup of de-caf. Relax a bit.

For a little while,till I learned my lesson, I thought the Brownell's long spotter drill to make a slght detent in the slide stop was a good idea. Avoid that premature engagement!
Top quality slide stops are expensive. I may have been on #3. Call it tuition and incentive.
I slowed down and looked more.
The plunger (rear) face of the slide stop is not quite cut square. There is a little slope to it to "encourage" the slide stop to stay down, but it has to be subtle so the mag spring/follower can overcome it. In my experience, drilling a detent spot is IMO,too much.
That John Moses figured things pretty well.

Without changing the angle, its not a bad idea to smooth/polish that back surface so the plunger is not fighting texture.
|
There are some edges that need to remain square and mostly sharp for function.
But there are some where a judicious corner break is a good idea.

Your assembly issue may be a case of a sharp edge (slide stop) not camming the round or beveled end of the plunger without biting. Think speed bump vs curb.|

Study with curiosity . See how things work and why they might not. And be VERY reluctant to "fix" a John Moses design.

Lavan said:
I have only tried 2,789 ways to insert the thing.

I think my best option is to ...continue... depressing the pin with a screwdriver to make room for the slide stop to make it into the opening in the frame.
I have a couple of 1911s on which the slide stop is particularly recalcitrant. For those, I do the only thing logical -- I cheat.

I cock the pistol and partially remove the thumb safety, allowing the plunger spring to relax as the rear section of the assembly pops out of the plunger tube. You just have to be careful to not allow the plunger assembly to go walkabout. Once the slide stop has been inserted, use a pusher to put the plunger assembly back where it belongs and pop the thumb safety back into position.

I was an Army Small Arms Repairman (MOS45B20) back when the 1911A1 was our service pistol. Have disassembled and reassembled hundreds of guns, literally thousands of times, and that doesn't count my personal 1911s.

A THIN bladed screwdriver or a feeler gauge or some shim stock of the right thickness is an invaluable tool for holding in the slide stop plunger so you can easily insert the slide stop.

If you were detail stripping the gun, I suppose you might be able to use a leg of the sear spring to do that, but I never needed to bother with that.

You can work on the slide stop, or the pin or both to make reassembly easier, but why bother when a simple tool will let you do the job??

Back