1911-.45 super question

GreenDragon

Well, it's tax time again which is good news for some of us and I think I'm going to blow most of the dough I get back from Uncle Scam on a 1911 of some kind. The .45 Super/.450 SMC concept is somewhat intriguing to me although not altogether important enough to change any decisions. I'm considering either a full size or Commander/Champion sized gun. My question is this: Does anyone know which models come with fully supported barrels that won't kB with the higher powered rounds?

I also wanted to know if these high-pressure rounds would be a problem with the Springfield two piece barrels. SO far I'm leaning towards a Kimber but if I saw something else for the right price I would probably change my mind. Also does anyone know what # recoil spring is recommended for the full power or tactical loads in either of these pistols.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

.45 super

Why not get a gun designed for .45 super? Springfield Armory V-16 longslide .45 super! I've had one for about 9 months and am very pleased with it. Low recoil, less muzzle flip(ported),high cool factor(sexy looking). The only problem I've had with mine was during break-in.Would not feed at first. Put in a 16lb. spring for the first 200 rounds and then put the factory spring back in. This was required because I was shooting .45 ball, not .45 super. Actually, I have yet to buy any .45 super ammo. That seems to be the only drawback for me. I don't reload, and I can only find one source for .45 super ammo. A company in texas, Texas Ammunition, I think. Another item on my "Things To Buy" list!

STI has several models that are .45 ACP, .45 Super/.450 SMC, and .40 Super (basically a .45 or .460 Roland - I forget which - necked down to .40). I know their website's in the middle of an overhaul and may not be 100% up to date but I think all the following models are available in the .45 Super/.450 SMC: Trojan 5.0 & 6.0, XCaliber .450, Eagle 5.0 & 6.0, Xcaliber .450+.

You can call them at 800-959-8201. Website is: http://www.stiguns.com/.

I highly recommend Chuck Bradley's Shooters Connection as a dealer. http://www.shootersconnection.com Chuck's a great guy to deal with though he only picked up the STI line recently so you may be able to get better info from the factory.

Back