1911 .22lr conversions for practice and ammo cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

navdoc

Inactive
Does anybody know how well the 1911 .22lr conversions function or how descently accuate they are? The cost of .45ACP ammo is pretty high and I would like to get used to the handling characteristics and weight of the 1911 without the cost (or kick!). Does this make two weapons in one or another cheap accessory that ends up a paperweight?

navdoc,
I have been shooting an original Colt ACE conversion for years now and have found it to be reliable(I shoot allot of the cheap Federal wal mart ammo and rarely have a malfunction not due to the magazines which is not that often) and accurate(I regularly roll cans out to 75 yds without any problems) for my needs. I think they are a great way to shoot more for less.
They will help you get used to the handleing characteristics or your 1911, same grip controls and trigger. One thing most will not do is help you get used to the weight/feel and recoil of the 1911. Since most are made with an alloy slide, the weight is not the same and the recoil is less.
About the only way you could achieve that goal is to get an original Colt ACE conversion. These have full weight steel slides and are made to actually recoil more than they normally do. The recoil is no where near that of a 45 ACP round but it is more than the other conversions.

NJW in AZ

I have had a Ciener conversion unit for almost a year. I use it quite a bit. It is acceptably accurate and easy to swap out. No paper weight here as I use it as much or more than any other .22 I shoot. It isn't target accurate but capable of less than an inch at 7 yards, and 2 inches at 25 yards if I do my part, and use ammo it really likes. Mine is happiest with CCI stingers, but has fed and functioned with everything I have fed it. www.22lrconversions.com is Ciener's website, or you can order through Dillon. Get the Platinum unit with the adjustable sights, it's worth the extra $50.00, and but a couple of extra buffers, as the buffers are only good for 2 or 3 thousand rounds. Ciener makes the units for Kimber and Wilson.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net

I have a Colt with a .22 conversion kit. My dad got the pistol in a trade years ago with the "Colt Conversion Unit .22 Long Rifle" installed (I don't have any other barrel or slide for the gun). It has a steel slide, and the chamber is in two parts that slide into each other (tough to describe). I think I read somewhere that this was designed to increase felt recoil. It does seem to kick more than other .22s, thought not a lot.

Anyway, it works great. I did have the split chamber get stuck together a few years ago (it got some lead fouling and locked up). I had a tough time getting it apart. But that was the only problem, and that was after years of shooting a lot of cheap lead ammo with little cleaning. I think its a great setup for someone who has a .45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back