1908 colt plastic grips

tornthumb

I have a new to me colt 1908 that has agrip panel loseing its black color. Can I reblack it and how. Is it best to just leave it alone. Thankshttp://thefiringline.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

I'd just leave it alone,and if it bothers you get a repro set from vintage gun grips for $31.Just make sure you keep the original set.

Thanks, I noticed a hairline crack beginning across the back of the bad panel at the screw hole err I mean the fastener hole.
I would have thought the grip would be a solid black, not a coating. The inside of the panel is still black.

Hard rubber is not really rubber, it is a natural substance also called "gutta percha", a very common grip material in the pre-plastic days. While not a bad material, it has a tendency to become brittle as it ages and can crack spontaneously. It also can discolor, turning brown or greenish. Since original grips are a significant part of a gun's value, I would do as m.p. driver suggests and buy a set of plastic repro grips for shooting, while keeping the originals with the gun in case you ever want to sell it.

Jim

Excellent advise above.

You can find new repros or old originals on Gunbroker. Keep the originals for sure. I found a old set of ivory grips for mine at a off the beaten path gun shop.

Back