1903A4 trouble

tahunua001

hello all.
as many of you know I was in the process of backwards converting a 1903A4 action into a 1303A3 and recently had a change of heart and decided to go scoped again. unfortunately the redfield mounts just arraived and I found out why this action was just sitting in a pile of parts in someones basement. the rear threads for the scope mount in the receiver have been stripped.

the deeper threads are still good so my question is:

does anyone know where to get a longer screw that will not impede the movement of the bolt

OR

does anyone know of a way to fix the threads currently in place?

Easiest fix: drill all the holes out to the next larger size, typically 8-40. You may have to modify the mounts for clearance.

If there are specific reasons you do not want to drill the action to the next larger size, you can have the hole in the rear receiver bridge filled/welded and re-drilled. Don't try this on the front receiver ring.

It can be done on the front receiver ring, but you have to control the heat very carefully and/or use heliarc or MIG/TIG to keep the heat area small. On the rear ring, the heat is not so critical, but it is still best to minimize the heated area. Use a soft steel rod so drilling and tapping will be no problem.

Jim

the forward mount still has good threads it's just the back I'm worried about. I've considered both the weld and retap, and the larger hole method. I just really don't want to take the chance of completely fuggering up this gun so I am being very cautious with whatever action I take.

would applying loctite to the holes and then loctiting the screws give enought hold that the front half could hold it in place or would that be a poor choice?

the forward mount still has good threads it's just the back I'm worried about. I've considered both the weld and retap, and the larger hole method. I just really don't want to take the chance of completely fuggering up this gun so I am being very cautious with whatever action I take.

would applying loctite to the holes and then loctiting the screws give enought hold that the front half could hold it in place or would that be a poor choice?

#1 choice is the next size up on the screw. This works IF you have enough steel to work with.

#2 choice is a heli-coil or thread-sert repair. You can get these ultra small sizes but they are spendy, $70-100 for the kit.

TIG weld would safe one the rear of the receiver.

Without a doubt mechanical repair is the proper way. That being said, I once had Marlin 94 come in with the lifter screw stripped. Going with replacement using a made-up larger screw opens a huge can of worms. Tried some of the Loc-Tite thread repair from Brownells, followed the directions, and wound up with a solid repair, no marks on the gun, and a happy customer. Goat

Try stainless steel filled Devcon epoxy. Coat the screws with Johnson paste wax, and anything else you don't want the epoxy to stick to. Clean the stripped out holes and using a tooth pick, coat the internal threads with epoxy. Screw the base on and let cure.

Those fillers, like epoxy, will work OK as long as there is no real strain, but they strip pretty easily if the screw has to be torqued down or if it has to hold against pressure. Scope mount screws take a lot of strain when the rifle is fired and the recoil tries to jerk the rifle out from under the scope. On some high recoil rifles, it is common for gunsmiths to drill and re-tap for 8x40 screws on brand new rifles just to keep the customer from having broken off screws later on. (The worst case is a light rifle in a big caliber and a large scope; that combination is brutal on scope mounts and screws, as well as on the scope itself - not to mention the shooter.)

Jim

well, not wanting to completely fugger up my reciever I took it to a local gunsmith that has done a lot of work on springfields(he estimates to be done with it by friday). while i was in the shop though I noticed that he has what appears to be a 100% legitimate 1903A4(though I don't know how to tell the difference between the repro scopes and originals). their ticket price on it is $3900:eek:

is that the usual going price for one of these in original condition or is he just overly optimistic?

Nice Clean Repros are going for about a thousand sporters much less unless very well done. Look up AIM Surplus. They are selling reproduction 1903 A3s and 1903A4S. Check Gunbroker for Sporter Prices.

this is where I'm having all the trouble trying to figure out what it's worth.
gibbs and whatever the AIM A4 repros are are built on A3 receivers and use modified A3 bolts and reproduction barrels while mine is all original(although I haven't checked to see if the barrel is parked under the front sight post). I don't have the proper stock style but neither does the AIM(unless the A4s were made with the scant style as well as C style) and to my knowledge the gibbs rifles are reproduction stocks while mine will be authentic(I ordered a c style this morning). I'm not certain but I believe the bayonet lug and floor plate are smith corona and I decided to go with modern style redfield rings and scope instead of the reproduction scopes that from all accounts are just plain awful.

I need to get a new camera and have some of the more experienced springfield guys give it a proper appraisal. I'm fairly certain that it has to have a little more value than a gibbs or AIM special though I am also sure that it probably wont fetch 4 grand either.

...I am also sure that it probably wont fetch 4 grand either.
This might surprise you, or might not, but it is why some told you to put her back as close as you can to A4 configuration. I really thought you were pulling legs when you wanted to go the other way, myself.

tahunua, You are sitting on a bit of value to someone somewhere. Seriously. Who knows where it's been or what it has seen? And it is yours. For now. Make it right. Enjoy it. :D

Or, go make it an A3. ;)

Tahun

You have a Valuable Firearm, that will not depreciate in value unless you modify it into a Sporter. If you stay as original as possible its worth alot.

well

I got the springfield back from the gunsmith today, it looks great, they really did a great job and they charged me about 1/4 of what I though I was going to get charged so that made the deal even sweeter. I did take it in for a preliminary appraisal at my LGS and I must say that I might not want to go there with my milsurps:D I am admitedly a novice but he tried telling me that the scope was killing the value on it and appraised it at $300 and told me that I needed to switch back to the iron sights if I wanted to sell it.

funnily enough the only thing he said "for a fact" that was original was the stock, even though it's the wrong stock style and the inlet for the bolt is wrong:D. I think I'll take it somewhere else once I get the correct stock on.

now for the downer, I decided to knock the front sight post off and... it's not parkerized underneath, which means that this barrel was destined for an A3. would having the thing reparked kill the value or is this an acceptable practice for a restoration project?

Back