1903 Springfield

PIGEONMAN

Inactive
i just picked up a old 1903 springfield 30-06. has i-43 stamped on barrel,CC-177 engraved on stock and serial numbered 81073, any info, thanks

The serial number of 81,000 places it in the single heat treat receiver range.

The pre 800,000 single heat treat receivers were in the process of being scrapped by the pre WW2 Army because of the quantity burnt in the forging room, which made the metal brittle.

There is no known non destructive test even today, to sort out the good single heat treat receivers from the bad ones. There fore there is risk in continued firing of a single heat treat receiver.

I would keep loads light or not shoot it at all.

Your pre WW1 receiver was rebarreled at some time with a 1943 barrel. I am unfamiliar with 1943 dated 03 barrels, never heard of an i-43 barrel, I have seen HS to 44 and SA barrels only to 1942. Maybe your barrel is an 03A3 barrel?

Pictures would help.

Regardless of the barrel on the pre 800k Springfields, I recommend it not be fired:

I am a CMP GSM MI and conduct clinics and matches. I will not let anyone fire a low number 1903 to be used at any of my matches.

From the CMP Web Site:

M1903*

WARNING ON “LOW-NUMBER” SPRINGFIELDS

M1903 rifles made before February 1918 utilized receivers and bolts which were single heat-treated by a method that rendered some of them brittle and liable to fracture when fired, exposing the shooter to a risk of serious injury. It proved impossible to determine, without destructive testing, which receivers and bolts were so affected and therefore potentially dangerous.

To solve this problem, the Ordnance Department commenced double heat treatment of receivers and bolts. This was commenced at Springfield Armory at approximately serial number 800,000 and at Rock Island Arsenal at exactly serial number 285,507. All Springfields made after this change are commonly called “high number” rifles. Those Springfields made before this change are commonly called “low-number” rifles.

In view of the safety risk the Ordnance Department withdrew from active service all “low-number” Springfields. During WWII, however, the urgent need for rifles resulted in the rebuilding and reissuing of many “low-number” as well as “high-number” Springfields. The bolts from such rifles were often mixed during rebuilding, and did not necessarily remain with the original receiver.

Generally speaking, “low number” bolts can be distinguished from “high-number” bolts by the angle at which the bolt handle is bent down. All “low number” bolts have the bolt handle bent straight down, perpendicular to the axis of the bolt body. High number bolts have “swept-back” (or slightly rearward curved) bolt handles.

A few straight-bent bolts are of the double heat-treat type, but these are not easily identified, and until positively proved otherwise ANY straight-bent bolt should be assumed to be “low number”. All original swept-back bolts are definitely “high number”. In addition, any bolt marked “N.S.” (for nickel steel) can be safely regarded as “high number” if obtained directly from CMP (beware of re-marked fakes).

CMP DOES NOT RECOMMEND FIRING ANY SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WITH A ”LOW NUMBER” RECEIVER. Such rifles should be regarded as collector’s items, not “shooters”.

I just want to point out that a rifle with that low of serial number was almost certainly used in combat especially if its barrel was replaced in 1943, if it was unsafe to fire then it probably wouldn't have survived long enough to need a new barrel. I have a 1912 with a 1919 barrel that is also one of the unsafe to fire models but I still fire it all the time. with that said, your serial dates to 1904 so I would definitely refrain from shooting a great deal....that is a very early model and is worth a great deal to a collector assuming it hasn't been sporterized, drilled, and tapped.

EDIT the barrel marking is more than likely marked 1-43 which I believe means January 1943.

Again, we are going to debate this till the Crack of Doom (I do not own a Low Number M1903 by the way) and not resolve it. I recall from my reading of Hatcher that he found it was certain years long before WWI that were the problem.

some pictures of the rifle

Attachments

• DSCF9423.JPG
    DSCF9423.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF9427.JPG
    DSCF9427.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCF9425.JPG
    DSCF9425.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 101
No way to know if safe means no way to know. Nothing I or anyone can say can prove it one way or another. Not much to debate really.

Beautiful rifle by the way. I'd be glad to own it

more pics

more pics of the 1903 springfield

Attachments

• DSCF9426.JPG
    DSCF9426.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF9432.JPG
    DSCF9432.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF9430.JPG
    DSCF9430.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 85
Low #s

You have to make your own decisions, of course, about the risk, if any, in firing your rifle.
It is significant, I believe, that your receiver was manufactured in 1904, endured all of WWI, and was not declared unsafe until the Ordnance report in 1929, twenty five years later.
"at least sixty-eight cases had been reported (between 1917 and 1929).... that as a result of cartridge case failure due to soft brass, excess headspace, or high pressure, gas from the cartridge was allowed to get inside the receiver. A weak or brittle receiver would then rupture." (Brophy, p. 557)

Pete

if the rifle should not be fired does that change the value versus a firing one.i have some interest from a friend who offered me 800.00 because of the firing issue.he said if it was safe to fire he would offer 1000.00

AMMENDED:

DO NOT SHOOT

SEE FOLLOWING POSTS

THIS GUN COULD BE LEATAHLY DANGEROUS

I have deleted my post as it was wrong and I did not look at pictures and should not have posted what I did.

Have an amended post at end

Last edited:
Something does not look correct in those pictures.

I have never seen a serial number so sloppily stamped as yours.

Looking at my “Springfield 1903 book”, your receiver has the small seriff letters, which according to the book, the latest serial number the author observed these were on a receiver numbered around 60, 400. Those last two digits are mis aligned and I have never seen a 03 with mis aligned numbers.

Then the sight base should but up against the receiver. You have a gap.

That is a A3 stock and A3 bolt.

It is very possible that this is a rifle put together from parts. I do not believe this was assembled in an American Arsenal or by professional armorers.

There is something very wrong with that receiver marking, and it is not just the serial number. That size and style of lettering was never used on any M1903 made by anyone, and certainly not by Springfield Armory.

I have no idea who marked that rifle, or even who made it, but please have it thoroughly checked out before even thinking of firing it. The concern about "low number" M1903 rifles is valid, but that may not even be a genuine M1903, or it could be one that was worked on at some unknown time and unknown place by some unknown organization or person.

Note that the rear sight does not contact the receiver; what that means, I don't know, but it is something else that is not right.

I STRONGLY advise having that rifle examined by a competent gunsmith; I suspect it might be a zinc cast dummy rifle receiver that has had a genuine barrel put on it in place of the original unchambered dummy barrel.

Jim

I also agree that somethings fishy about it. the serial is off centered and is a different font style and size from the manufacturer marking.

I agree with the last few posters, those receiver markings aren't from any U.S. arsenal, and if represented as such by the seller then I would be looking to get my money back.

While the early 1903's used a much more "curly" font, here is what the typical size/alignment of the receiver markings on a 1903 Springfield Armory rifle should look like. Also notice that the rear sight base is abutted right against the front of the receiver.

f31a922f.jpg

I have no idea who marked that rifle, or even who made it, but please have it thoroughly checked out before even thinking of firing it. The concern about "low number" M1903 rifles is valid, but that may not even be a genuine M1903, or it could be one that was worked on at some unknown time and unknown place by some unknown organization or person.

Note that the rear sight does not contact the receiver; what that means, I don't know, but it is something else that is not right.

I STRONGLY advise having that rifle examined by a competent gunsmith; I suspect it might be a zinc cast dummy rifle receiver that has had a genuine barrel put on it in place of the original unchambered dummy barrel.

+100

Appears to be a counterfeit rifle.

I agree the the receiver looks as though it was renumbered. The style of lettering is the very early style, which may or may not predate the serial number, but what raises my red flag is the uneven stamping of the numbers. The armory was very quality conscious and I doubt if it would have ever released a receiver that was stamped like that.

I don't currently have a '03 that early, but here is a picture of my early 1906 Springfield, like the later one already pictured, note how straight the number is.

IMG1020-X2.jpg

I did not look at the pictures, really bad on me. Could be really bad on you.

There is something seriously wrong with the setup.

As the other noted, numbers do not look right and the sight base is not right.

Not sure how you would do a forgery like that, but it sure looks like one.

Do not even think about shooting it.

Full investigation and then make an informed decision on whats found.

The pictures in Brophy's book on serial number lettering are very hard to see, but I was able to find decent pictures of the earliest serial number styling.

The lettering on your receiver are inconsistant with anything in my books.

EarlyM1903SerialNumber610-1.jpg

EarlyM1903SerialNumber610v2.jpg

Last edited:
Back